Disable pop-up windows

By davey
Apr 13, 2004
  1. How do you disable pop-up windows during browersing the intenet
    I have internet 6 and windows xp
  2. Hodsocks

Hodsocks TS Guru Posts: 370

There are loads of pop-up blockers out there on the internet, as I use Google a lot I downloaded their toolbar which includes a pop-up blocker which works well for me.
  3. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,926   +185

Erm, I have not heard of Internet 6, I think we are still on Internet 1

If you on the other hand mean Internet Explorer 6.0 then you could start cleaning out your computer of all SPAM by downloading updaing and running ad-aware:

Next you can for example install the google toolbar or alexa toolbar, they will allow you to block popups... There are other additions also but I have not really tried them...

I use Opera myself, it gives me the choice to open only popup's I request to open, i.e. ones I click on like when I sign into my bank and so...
  4. davey

davey TS Rookie Topic Starter

Can you disable pop up menu control panel, services, messenger,
    and click disable.. does this work?
  5. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

This disables the Windows Messenger service (nothing to do with MSN Messenger) and its popup windows. It will not affect the popups you get from Internet Explorer and other lousy browsers.
  6. davey

davey TS Rookie Topic Starter

If you go into IE under tools/internet options and security tab click internet and then click custom levels and under active scripting in the scripting section. click disable

7. Deal Svengali

Deal Svengali TS Rookie Posts: 372

The google toolbar works well for me.
  8. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +395

Yeh IMO anyone that doesn't want to change to a different browser from IE really should get the google toolbar.
  9. MattG

MattG TS Rookie Posts: 140

CrazyBrowser works well for windows xp systems.

Blocks all pop ups, and features tabbing instead of opening a whole new window.
  10. PanicX

PanicX TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 669

11. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,202   +422

Actually Per - I do have Internet2 here at work - but it only connects me to university and government sites.
  12. me(who else?)

me(who else?) TS Rookie Posts: 387

You should try Netscape 8.0 ... it has a built in pop-up blocker. It's kind of hard to find on the internet, but it does exist. I use it all the time and I haven't seen a pop-up since I got it. It also has a download manager which has some useful features (especially for people like me who can't remeber where they saved something).
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.