TechSpot

Disabling automatic reboot upon error without loading Windows XP?

By A57Strat
Jan 21, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. About two weeks ago or more while attempting to start up my laptop I fell victim to the "Blue Screen of Death". The error message read "Unmountable Boot Volume".

Every single time I attempt to load Windows XP the computer restarts right after the Windows logo disappears...this happens over and over and never stops.

When I try to use the "Last known good configuration" option the same occurs.

When I try to load in safe mode it never makes it to the Windows screen, just a bunch of different text shows up and gives various file names. When I try to load in the other two safe modes, the same occurs.

I do not have any boot disks, start up disks, a Windows XP recovery disk, or any access to a computer that could create floppy disks or burn a CD. Does anyone have any tips or info that could help me out with this?

Or does anyone know a way at this point, without being able to access Windows XP and without having a start up/recovery disk, to change the Windows 'automatic reboot upon error' setting so I can at least get my computer to start?

Thanks in advance for your time and help.
  2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

It appears as if you have a defective hard drive.
  3. A57Strat

A57Strat TS Rookie Topic Starter

That is one possibility...but there are others as well.

What I really want to know is if there is a way, perhaps with DOS, to disable the settings on the 'automatic reboot upon error' option so I can load Windows XP fully?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.