TechSpot

Disabling Windows Firewall

By Dan Palmer
Aug 27, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Cobalt006

Cobalt006 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,777   +241

There is no way to uninstall windows fire wall. As far as turning back on when you restart , I have no Ideal why you are having this Problem. Maybe someone here will have a ideal. I know if I disable mine it stays off.

2. Zoltan Head

Zoltan Head TS Booster Posts: 247   +27

I suggest disabling the Windows Firewall service (Run/service.msc), it should then stay off after reboot (I'm working to the assumption that you know what you're doing stopping the firewall!):).

3. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Posts: 6,486   +331

Its my understanding the W7 firewall is far better than previos windows firewalls. Why you'd want to disable is puzzling & putting your pc at risk.:eek:

4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,022   +591

That's my question too - - very bad choice. I can only conjecture he's having problems and can't find the real problem - - many people jump to the conclusion "It must be my firewall".

5. learninmypc

6. Cobalt006

You maybe right, But he maybe adding his own personal firewall. Could go either way. Just hope he knows what he is doing.

7. learninmypc

Hopefully he'll be able to get back in here for expert help.(y)

8. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,022   +591

Perhaps. With XP/Pro, I too elected a 3rd party FW, but with Win/7, I'm going native and it is very satisfactory.
    Configuration is a tad complicated, but that's common.

9. Cobalt006

Very true. Win 7 firewall dose the job, Plus a router helps to.:)

10. Dan Palmer

Dan Palmer TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for the help guys, I ran a "repair" of my windows installation which seemed to fix the issue

11. learninmypc

Thanks for replying, hopefully you'll be ok.:)