Disc check g:\ drive at startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

plasma dragon00

ok, whenever my pc turns on, right after windows loads i get the screen showing " windows is scanning g:\ for inconsistencies. press any button to cancel the disc check."

and it does this every single time windows starts up now! and frankly its a bit annoying. i havent done any file system modifications to it, its just used for backup. its a Seagate 500 gig sata hard drive with a 16 mb cache.

ive heard a way to stop it before but i completely forget how or where it was. any ideas?

thanks,

~plasma

Can be two things:

The drive is actually faulty!
Or in boot.ini file

Go to System in Control Panel
Advanced
Bottom Settings
Edit button

Just check in there. Note this little file, is used to Start Windows, only change what you know to change.

thank you, i actually did find a way last night before i went to bed though, wasnt able to post it however.

start>run> chkntfs /x g:

and its fixed ^_^

I have never known about this executable!
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/160963

This is incredible, I have totally missed this exe in all my years, I really thought I knew every file there is (obviously the detailed descriptions are sketchy, but needless to say I've seen them all - so I thought!)

I've watched many scans (watching all the files wizzing by) But chkntfs.exe doesn't even look normal.

By the way, I have since read all there is to know about this exe.

Thankyou for informing me about this.

I think I'll do a *.exe search, just in case. nah! there's no more new ones

this is a permanent change to the chkdsk behavior, meaning that drive will NEVER
be checked again.

run chkdsk /f g: and let it run to completion at least once.
then go back and run chkntfs /d

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back