Not open for further replies.

te00

Hello guys...

For almost 3 days every time i start my pc i get this:

Scanning files on drive D:
File system is ntfs
Volume label is (unreadable letters)

Scanning files for consistency..

Whats that concistency?i dunno,and how to solve.
This problem begun when 1 day while downloading some stuff via p2p prog some hard disk errors pop up,and it deleted 2 files that i was downloading.
Everything is ok,except this scan prompt(which i can abort if i want).

At this time speaking i havent run a disk check.

te00 said:
Volume label is (unreadable letters)

That worries me, it may be a sign that the drive has had it, run a command prompt change path to the drive and type label.

te00 said:
At this time speaking i havent run a disk check

Then its time to do one,

Run a command prompt and type chkdsk d: /f .

Reboot and let the chkdsk run and then reboot and see if it runs chkdsk on the drive again.

I also found this advice from this site here

what you're experiencing is what Windows refers to as "setting the dirty bit" and what you have to do is unset that bit. Every time Windows XP starts, autochk.exe is called by the kernel to scan all volumes to check if the volume dirty bit is set. If the dirty bit is set, autochk performs an immediate chkdsk /f on that volume. Chkdsk /f verifies file system integrity and attempts to fix any problems with the volume. It is usually caused by a hard shut down or a power loss during a read-right operation on that particular drive.

How do I fix it, you ask?

Well, that's easy. First click Start | Run | and bring up a command prompt by typing in

CMD

and then type

fsutil dirty query d:

To see the other commands for fsutil type fsutil plus /? or just type fsutil alone. Here is what you will see:

fsutil
---- Commands Supported ----

behavior Control file system behavior
dirty Manage volume dirty bit
file File specific commands
fsinfo File system information
hardlink Hardlink management
objectid Object ID management
quota Quota management
reparsepoint Reparse point management
sparse Sparse file control
usn USN management
volume Volume management

This queries the drive, and more than likely it will tell you that it is dirty. Next, type

CHKNTFS /X D:

The X tells Windows to NOT check that particular drive on the next reboot. At this time, manually reboot your computer, it should not do a Chkdsk and take you directly to Windows.

Once Windows has fully loaded, bring up another CMD prompt and type and now you want to do a Chkdsk manually by typing

Chkdsk /f /r d

This should take you through 5 stages of the scan and will unset that dirty bit. Finally, type

fsutil dirty query d:

and Windows will confirm that the dirty bit is not set on that drive. It will give you this message:

Volume - d: is NOT Dirty

From here we are back to some sense of normalcy

Regards

I almost prefer to say, do NOT use registry cleaner programs, period.

If you can find a free version of RegClean by Jouni Vuoro, you will have agood and simple product, but he has now gone commericial with JV16 and JV Power Tools
Registry Editors are a very big sales item. Millions upon millions are made on abotu 88 products every year. Most are worthless or dangerous. They are practically snake oil.

What are the possible performance benefits can you get from “cleaning up” unneeded registry entries and eliminating a few stray DLL files? Even in the best-case scenario the good that is done is trivial at best. Maybe a second or two here and there, maybe a few kilobytes of freed-up RAM. Remember, this software is promising to fix your machine by removing stuff... and most users don't know or understand what is being removed.

That removal is a big risk. If you know what you want removed, you can use RegClean or RegCleaner to remove it. If you don't know what to remove DO NOT REMOVE IT. You are probably just causing future problems for yourself.

In our repair shop, I have never seen a computer that was made better by a Registry Editor or Registry Cleaner. But we have seen a lot of computers tha required a full reinstall because somebody without knowledge ran a registry editor.

Think of registry editor as a "Money Maker" for somebody. Free ones are just test versions for people who expect to make money when the software is perfected.

$121 million was made on registry editors last year. The total made by Registry Mechanic alone is truly astonishing.

I have never seen any serious performance testing on registry fix software. If it exists, let me know... I mean thorough stuff, not marketing reviews. We would be interested in seeing what is in print. However, without rigorous testing and proper fail-safe construction, we must advise everyone to avoid any such utility.

If someone tells you they know some program that edits a registry and fixes problems, but remains rather fail safe, tell them to show you the data before you ruin your install.

You can use an editor like RegClean or RegCleaner or similar (found at www.majorgeeks.com, among other sites) you will learn a lot, and you will damage little, unless you want to.

Well u ve been very helpful.I ll do what u suggest and tell u the results.
raybay,ur post has to do sth with my question??if yes could u explain it a bit more??I have never used tools such reg cleaner or any other.
Only antivirus-PG2-firewall-spyware is on my computer.Have never used anything more.

thank u both for ur quick response.Cheers :)

raybay said:
I almost prefer to say, do NOT use registry cleaner programs, period...... extremely long and irrelevant post snipped

Hey Raybay were you on the golden liquid when you posted this :giddy: , or did you click the wrong thread ;) ....

Regards

Something weird that I have yet to figger out... This happened in three different messages... in a very short time window. where I posted replies to messages that were sent me, regarding known threads, and these replies went to places I never intended.
Guess I will have to find a computer tech.

raybay said:
Something weird that I have yet to figger out... This happened in three different messages... in a very short time window. where I posted replies to messages that were sent me, regarding known threads, and these replies went to places I never intended.
Guess I will have to find a computer tech.

Might be a TS issue, I know Julio causes problems sometimes when he starts messing with the code, on the same note sometimes if I just look at a thread I get subscribed to it.

Wierd thing these VB forums, i personally wouldnt want to be responsible for keeping it going...

As for having to find a computer tech, good luck, there aint none round here :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back