Disc structure error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,
:bounce:

I am trying to access my USB 2 external pocket size (30gb) drive and I when I plug it into the USB port I get the message "the disc structure is corrupted and unuseable", i suspect prior to travelling offshore to my job I may have disconnected incorrectly :blush: . i've tried through DOS to change the drive letter and run scandsk but still no joy. Any idea's peeps??? All my work files are on it and whoooooops no back-up.

i am using a Shell GID machine, win-xp pentium 4.

Thanks all
newbi si_bli

Did you get any special software with it? It might be that it's using some sort of special file system, and that you need to install the drivers before you'll be able to access the content... If not, you might be up a certain creek without a paddle...

it came with a driver cd but that was for windows 98. i have used it for about 12 months prior to this with no problems. does not sound good does it??
:confused:

No, looks like you're stuck with corrupted data until you format the disk...

Or, it might be programs that are able to resurrect the data, but only if the OS actually wrote the data to the disk, and didn't keep it in a cache and was interrupted whilst writing it. And they'd be pretty expensive, so I'd rather try to get someone to get the data from my computer for me... Do a neighbour have an extra key or something, so that you could get them to send you the data?

Thanks for your reply, it's given me hope. Sorry to sound :dead: but is there a rule of thumb where the cach data can be found? What should my wife be looking for. Looking back I may (Did :blush: ) have tried to disconnect the portable drive through the "eject or remove hardware" command and it was not ready to remove so in haste and the need to rush of (Because I love my job----If only) I unplugged it. My wife could access the data and forward it on to me if she knew where to locate it. At home i use win-xp serv pack 2.

Thanks again

:)

I'm sorry if I've give you any false hopes, but that cache is gone...
And even if it weren't, it would be next to impossible to get the files from it.

But don't you have the files on your home computer? Or did you work directly on the USB drive?

Unfortunately the files on the PHDD have been collected over the space of about 4 years from various locations around the world. Uhm!!!! :confused: looks like i've made a big mistake re not backing up the drive. Looks like it will be a good lesson for me and other's reading this mail. Alway's back up your drives. Thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back