Discrepancy between wireless device speeds

Belvadier

Quick question: I have a netgear wgr614 wireless router and the only two devices that connect to this router wirelessly are my wife's 4th generation iPod Touch and my cellphone, which is a MyTouch 4g. I have the Ookla speed testing app for each device and the speeds that they get are INCREDIBLY different under the same network circumstances.

For instance: with no other device connected (wirelessly or otherwise) and with the devices each held directly next to the router (each has full bars for wireless reception) my wife's iPod will register around a 14.5 mbps speed while my cellphone will only be around a 4.00 mbps. The speed tester is the same on each device (i believe - both are the Ookla one) and both are testing from the same Baltimore server. I'm just wondering what could be causing this great dichotomy in speeds...

Any help would be appreciated.

Yea, people frequently assume that all devices connected to the same router ought to run at nearly identical rates. However, you have two very different devices (iPod Touch and my cellphone), and they use different protocols.

I would learn to ignore the discrepancy altogether and just move on; this is life in the network world

Yeah, the difference doesn't really affect the enjoyment that i get when i use my mytouch at home but it just seemed strange. Like 10% of the time the mytouch wilm test at the same speed as the ipod (14 mbps) but it is just inconsistant. The ipod touch however is ALWAYS at the 14 mbps...

Back