TechSpot

Dish brings broadband to rural US, seeks programming for Internet TV

By Jos
Sep 28, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Dish Network is expanding its broadband offering with the official launch of dishNet, a satellite-based service that will go live Monday and aims to bring high-speed internet to rural places in the US with slow or no access at all....

Read more

2. Littleczr

Littleczr TS Booster Posts: 411   +79

10gb cap? get your trash out of here.

3. noel24

noel24 TS Rookie Posts: 55   +14

Good quality video on YT is 200MB. 10GB is like 2 days of using internet nowadays. Pop-up adverts probably eat that alone, if one browse a lot. Heck, using 56k modem on a phone line 14 h/day wil give you more. 10Mbps with this cap is a false advertising and someone should suit their sorry asses. For reading news, tenth of that would be sufficient, but it wouldn't look that great in a commercial, would it? Where are politicians and regulatory agencies when You need one?

4. noel24 when I just look websites it is like 30 megs per hour (50 max), when you look at videos it is like 300-500 per hour, that is what netlimiter say. So if you take out youtube those 10gb are great if you only look at websites and don't download anything.

5. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,078   +76

10GB? I burn through that much every other day...

6. Scavengers

Scavengers TS Enthusiast Posts: 101   +16

Oh man, I just downloaded Rage from steam last night and it is almost 22 gigs.

Dave

7. Jim$ter

Jim$ter TS Enthusiast Posts: 140   +24

10GB??!? Is Dish owned by the Cellular companies? Caps need to DIE!!!!

8. 3DCGMODELER

3DCGMODELER TS Enthusiast Posts: 307   +18

10 GB wow thats a typo.....
    I get 300 GB a month for the same price ...

I use up 10 GB a day easy on the weekend alone...

9. This kind of thing we need in scotland but limited data is so last century ......

10. Emexrulsier

Emexrulsier TS Enthusiast Posts: 241   +7

Scotland needs more than decent internet...

11. TorturedChaos

TorturedChaos TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 855   +11

While I agree the cap is a bit outragous, this services is targeted at people who really can't get internet anyother way other than via cell phone service.
    Places where there are no phone or cable lines. You have to do all your phone/tv/internet via cell phone or satalite - all "over the air". Or where you are so far out you have the choice of VERY slow DSL or VERY crappy dial-up over POS phone lines that you can barely make a call out on.
    Compred to what the cell phone companies want for their internet services and what their caps are this isn't so bad.

If you have access to even decent DSL, then you are not their target consumer.

12. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,690   +335

Not a typo. In fact, its a fair bit higher than the 7.5GB cap that their competitors (HughesNet, Wildblue/Exede) offer. One thing not mentioned in the article that HughesNet and Wildblue/Exede offer is 5 or 6 hours of time where your download doesn't count against you. Dish's prices are also better. The others are $50 a month for that service, HughesNet has horrible download speeds (1.5Mbps) and Exede says up to 12Mbps.

My parents are unable to get broadband any other way, so they were looking at satellite offerings recently.

13. TJGeezer

TJGeezer TS Enthusiast Posts: 385   +10

No wonder they're only marketing to bandwidth-starved areas. The U.S. now has some kind of "broadband everywhere" government initiative - I wonder if Dish will get subsidies for pushing this out, unrealistic data caps and all. All these companies are very good at sucking on the government teat while screaming about how their customers want everything for free.

14. Emexrulsier

Emexrulsier TS Enthusiast Posts: 241   +7

Am I right in thinking upload on a satelite connection is still managed by copper? Back in "the day" you used a satellite to manage the downstream and a normal phone line to deal with the upload.

15. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,690   +335

I don't think so anymore. Exede's 12Mbps down service says 3Mbps up. It can't use dialup for that, and if it used dsl, then there would be no need for the customer to have satellite service because DSL would be a far better option.

16. Sphynx

Sphynx TS Rookie Posts: 35

This is why I'm glad I don't live in a rural community.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.