Dish streams TV to Android, iOS, BlackBerry, PC, Mac

Emil

Staff

Dish Network has begun offering its subscribers the ability to watch all of their live and recorded television programs on several devices: smartphones, tablets, desktops, and laptops. To do so, subscribers must download the Dish Remote Access application and use it in conjunction with their broadband-connected Sling-enabled receiver.

Dish has released a new Sling Adapter, a small device that pairs with Dish's ViP 722 or 722k HD DVRs. The Sling Adapter, which is powered and operated through a standard USB connected to the DVR, costs $99 for new and current Dish customers. With it, customers can send their HD or SD live and recorded programming to various devices.

On the receiving end, subscribers will need the free Dish Remote Access app, which lets you access subscribed channels, view all DVR recordings, manage recordings and delete shows, and use a mobile device as a remote control. The following 3G and/or WiFi-enabled platforms are supported: Android devices, iPhone, iPod touch, iPad (TV viewing coming soon on iOS 4.2), BlackBerry (beta app available for Bold 9700, Bold 9000, Curve 8520, and Curve 8900), as well as Windows PCs and Macs.

"DISH Network is proud to be the first pay-TV provider to bring our customers the ability to enjoy their TV anywhere, anytime on a variety of popular devices," Ira Bahr, DISH Network Chief Marketing Officer, said in a statement. "Unlike mobile viewing from cable and telcos that limit access to select programs, our TV Everywhere services give consumers 24x7 access to all of the live and recorded content included with their DISH Network programming subscription."

Earlier this month, Dish attacked Hulu, saying that the service was destroying the TV industry. If that's so, will Dish be the one to save it?

Permalink to story.

I find it humorous that they're supporting Blackberry. I've got a Bold 9700 and I know that this thing's processor can't even seamlessly stream YouTube -- I'd be surprised if it could do what Dish is hoping to put out.

Back