Dishonored beats sales expectations, deemed a new franchise

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

With a fresh console generation around the corner, many large publishers have been hesitant to release new properties, especially those that lack mass appeal, but Bethesda's gamble on Arkane Studios' first-person stealth action title seems to have paid off.

Speaking with Destructoid, Bethesda PR chief Pete Hines said that Dishonored is far exceeding the company's sales expectations. While precise figures weren't shared, Hines boasted of "terrific numbers" over the recent holiday, both in stores and through Steam, where the game was on sale for half price and stood as the top selling title through the weekend. He also noted that the game is performing well overseas.

Although Bethesda hasn't revealed exact sales numbers, NPD reported in early November that about 460,200 retail units of Dishonored were moved in the US during its first month on shelves. Factor in digital sales, copies sold in other regions as well as another three weeks of availability, and it's easy to see why the publisher is so enthusiastic.

"We're very pleased and appreciate all the fans that have supported Dishonored and Arkane. We clearly have a new franchise," Hines said, all but confirming that you can look forward to a new Dishonored in the next few years. For now, fans can explore the upcoming downloadable content pack "Dunwall City Trials," which will be available on December 11 for $4.99 and contains a set of 10 challenges with new assassinations, wave-based combat and new achievements. Two story-based add-ons are also in the works, with one due in the spring of 2013 and the other coming later in the year.

Permalink to story.

This game was a complete letdown. Hideously ugly design with the usual dumbing down for consoles. Totally schizophrenic and overdone concept, like they couldn't decide what sort of game to make. You're an assassin <I>who's punished for killing people</I>. Oh, and there's magic. And zombies. The story was so transparently predictable that it made me a little nauseous. And let's not forget the broken save system! Just another failed console port - NEXT!

This game was a complete letdown. Hideously ugly design with the usual dumbing down for consoles. Totally schizophrenic and overdone concept, like they couldn't decide what sort of game to make. You're an assassin <I>who's punished for killing people</I>. Oh, and there's magic. And zombies. The story was so transparently predictable that it made me a little nauseous. And let's not forget the broken save system! Just another failed console port - NEXT!
I dont know if we played the same game.
I found the story incredibly unpredictable, They made a steampunk game with a constant theme the whole way through (The first time I saw the lighthouse I was like O.o). I cant see why you are complaining about magic as its not supposed to be a realistic game...and if you payed attention to the story you would know the zombies 1.) arent really as basic as zombies, theres some sort of story as to why they are there instead of MAD COW DISEASE or RADIOACTIVE something or other) and 2.) the zombies are present in like what, 1 mission?

and of course you are punished for killing people. If you dont realize, your character isn't an assassin. He's a betrayed bodyguard. The people you are dealing with in the game arent mindless violents...Killing people should punish you...your objective isnt to kill people, its to complete the objective. Leave the mindless killing in assassins creed games...not that they are bad games.

And I might point out that you arent exactly punished, its just a darker ending.

Dude, what game are you playing?!
Either you didn't have the patience to actually play the game or you just rushed through as much as you could playing it like every other gun game (run, shoot... repeat). Which yeah you can play this game like that but you miss out on pretty much everything it has to give.

The PC port as well it really good, I haven't found a real fault with it yet, runs smooth on a HD3000 card so it must be fairly optimized.

I mean, seriously, what game were you playing? are you definitely sure it was Dishonored and not Assassin creed?

A good friend of mine highly recommends this game. His only complaint was the initial level felt that it was paced to slow. But that's the training level. And he thoroughly enjoyed the rest of the game. I plan to pick this one up for myself on payday.

I bought the game last week and im having a great time with it it's refreshing... Good Job Arkane.

Reading these comments makes me want to buy this game. I should've paid attention to this game and bought it during the sale :(

Back