Disk boot fail

Nicragomi

ok, I'm at my wits end ya'll. I've searched for this problem through the many search pages of Google, and I still have yet to find a problem similar to mine.

I'm going to sell my old desktop to a friend, it has a ASUS P5N-D (SLi version, not Deluxe) w/ 8GB of OCZ RAM and a Wolfdale 2.8GHZ Dual Core CPU. Now, when it boots up, I see the BIOS splash screen, then goes to POST, then it comes up with that error. I've checked to make sure my HDDs (two 1TB WD SATA, not in any RAID configuration) are seen by the BIOS, in which they are (and my cheap ASUS DVD+R drive).

I've check my drives by connecting them to my new computer via SATA -> USB kit and all drives are formatted to NTFS with nothing on them. I can't really find a problem with the drives, and I still get that error when I try to load up Windows 7 Home Premium x64.

I'm out of ideas and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. :)

How old are these drives? It is possible that the one with the windows installation just bit the dust. Harddrives aren't the most reliable pieces of hardware and they get a lo of use. Check your bios to see if S.M.A.R.T. reporting is on. If it is disable it and reboot. If that doesn't work you could try popping in your windows 7 disk, booting from that and see if you can repair/restore. That's all I can think of.

The drives aren't that old, 3-4 years tops. I took the HDDs off the boot list and I still get that error. I'm still at a loss.

If that doesn't work you could try popping in your windows 7 disk, booting from that and see if you can repair/restore. That's all I can think of.

Yea, I've set my Boot List to just do USB and my DVD drive, and it still says the same error. could it possibly be the disk drive?

I figured it out, it seems that my BIOS sees my USB drive as a Hard Disk and not Removable, I put the Hard Disk back on the boot list and it booted the WIndows 7 install.

Back