"Disk boot failure, Insert system disk and press enter" On Startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

weslstan

Ive just been getting this error at startup....

DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

I can get around it by pressing delete and then it loads everything fine.

I think I know how to fix it but could any of you tell me what you think and also tell me how to get into bios because I cant seem to.

Thanks.

weslstan - you are up to 17 posts and people have helped you and you STILL haven't posted your complete specs in your profile and me, I am through asking and looking at your old posts to find out.

So please, get with the program.

thx

:)

CCT has you figgered out... 17 posts in 80 hours about the same problem, with no effort from the poster... We are not baby sitters...
If you cannot post specs, you are probably not for this list.

Urm excuse me..

WHat do you mean you have figured me out? I came on the forum for help and I thought thats what you provided..Sorry If I misjudged that.

Here is my spec:

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4 550, 3400 MHz (17 x 200)
Motherboard Name MSI MS-7046
Motherboard Chipset Intel Grantsdale i915P
System Memory 1536 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award (11/25/04)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 6600 (256 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce 6600 PCI-E
Monitor Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB]

Could you now help me with my problem?

Sounds like your boot sequence is not correct. Enter BIOS and find the Boot Sequence menu. Make sure that the internet hard drive is listed. I think it's not and the BIOS can't find the bootloader in the devices listed. When it prompts you to put in a disk, you cancel, so it then by default goes to the hard drive. Make sure the hard drive is listed in the boot sequenc and the error message should disappear.

I cant seem to get into Bois for some reason.
Maybe Its too quick but Ill repeatedly press del or esc but I cant get to it.

The keystroke for getting into BIOS varies from one manufacturer to another. Some it's DEL, other's it's F2, other's it's F1, other's it's something else. Watch the splash screen carefully to see what it is.

Ok well I decided to take the battery out and It seems to have worked, Id suggest this to anyone who has the same problem.
Thanks.

Good Luck

I hope it lasts.I will never ever remove my battery.
You might find new problems yet.
I hope you have a motherboard manual ?:eek:

I didnt know that it could do any damage removing it?!?

Every other forum ive read on this subject has said its no big deal, Its just a sure fire way of resetting bios settings and getting rid of problems like this.

weslstan said:

Every other forum ive read on this subject has said its no big deal, Its just a sure fire way of resetting bios settings and getting rid of problems like this.

Removing your battery will not do damage to your motherboard. What it will do is reset the BIOS information to default and sometimes that will slow your computer down a bit. BUT since you have never changed anything in your BIOS and everything was already at default you have nothing to worry about and anybody who tells ya different is to be ignored.

Well you can keep shopping for advice until you find some you like.
Here are the various BIOS codes for 97 percent all machines, in no particular order.
<Ctrl>, <Ctrl +1, 2, or 3>, >F1>, <F2>, <F3>, <F10>, <F11>, <F12> <Del>, <Ins>

weslstan said:

Usually it's not a big deal. The only risk is that you're handling the electronics without possibly grounding yourself first. You could fry something accidentally doing that. Aside from that, there's no way to damage the battery.

But others read these forums, and they are posted in Google searches, so it is not a mute point at all.

OK definitely not a mute point now.
I turn my pc on again and guess what pops up?!!?

I dont know what to do....again

What Disc version of Windows do you have? A full Windows XP? An OEM Windows XP? Or a Recovery disc from some computer manufacturer such as Dell, Gateway, eMachines, HP, Compaq, SystemMax, IBM Lenovo, or the like.

This will be important in working up a fix. I don't have the full thread available to me a the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back