Disk Boot Failure - Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

Two days ago Microsoft started the automatic updates. A box came up saying that the computer would restart in 8 minutes and gave me the option to Restart Now or Restart Later. I chose Restart Later. I went to bed & when I got up the next morning the computer was froze on the Windows is shutting down screen. I had to turn off with the switch. When I turned back on, the computer won't start and gives the error "Disk Boot Failure, insert system disk and press enter." At the top of the screen it states:

Diskette Drive B: None
Pri. Master Disk: None
Pri. Slave Disk: None
Sec. Master Disk: CD-ROM, UDMA 2
Sec. Slave Disk: CD-ROM, UDMA 2

In BIOS at the Main Screen it shows:

Primary Master [AUTO] (My only other option is NONE)
Primary Slave: [AUTO] (My only other option is NONE)
Secondary Master: [MATSHITADVD-ROM SR-8588]
Secondary Slave: [_NEC CD-RW NR-9100A]

On the BOOT Screen it shows:

1. IDE Hard Drive [None}
2. ATAPI CD-ROM [MATSHITADVD-ROM SR-8588]
3. Removable Device [Legacy Floppy]
4. Other Bootable Device [Disabled]
Silent Boot [Enabled]

I don’t know why the above sees my floppy drive as “B”. It was “A” prior to this problem. Or at least showed “A” in Windows Exployer.

I have a second hard drive in this computer and they are connected with the same cable. I thought maybe the cable went bad so I changed it out but didn't help. The master and slave/cable select switches have not been changed since the second drive was put in over 5 years ago. It appears that the computer cannot find either hard drive so would it be logical to think that it’s not a bad hard drive but something else, right?

I have a Sony Vaio PCV-RX850 and do have the Recovery CD's that came with the computer. I'm afraid to use them without trying something else first. I have some important files that I really need to try and keep if at all possible. I have done a lot of reading on the internet where there have been several suggestions but I don’t know what to try first since none of the problems were exactly like mine.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

I'd start by trying to recover the files if they're that important.
You could remove the drive and connect it to another computer, or get a Linux boot disk like Ubuntu or Knoppix and copy them to an external drive.
In the process it should be become clear whether the drive is damaged or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back