Disk Boot Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cronocloud

Ok so i was trying to install windows xp on my girlfriends computer rather than vista because its incredibly slow for her so i made a KILLDISK.iso and successfully formated her HD but then i forgot to create a new partition on the hard drive using killdisk so i would be able to install XP on her system, now when i put Killdisk OR the xp cd in on boot it comes up with a black screen that says DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER, ive tried changing all the boot orders, cd first, hd first etc. nothing seems to work i restored bios to system defaults. EVERYTHING any help on how to get killdisk to load again so i can make the partition would be greatly appreciated.

How do you plan to install windows from a cd? If you install it from a cd all you have to do is set you computer to boot from cd then load the cd restart and you should be good to go. You can format from the cd it will ask you

Alternative 1. Try the bios again. Make sure it recognises the Cd drive. Force the bios (if possible) to check and ensure it says the make and model of the drive, which proves the drive is recognised.

Alternative 2. Open the case, break and remake the necessary connections.

Alternative 3, does ANY bootable CD have this problem ? If so, borrow another CD drive to test.

Alternative 4. Put the CD drive in another PC and verify works/not works

Alternative 5. Note the current bios settings, all pages, then reset the bios (this means shorting two pins - read the m/b manual) or take the battery out for 15 mins. After restart, put the bios settings back to what they were.

Alternative 6. Does the PC have a floppy disc, or even just a channel? You could boot from a floppy and could then prove if the CD can read any sort of CD, not just bootables.

Alternative 7. Does the bios support bootable USB ? proceded as 5, or copy the install to USB pendrive on another PC and install from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back