Disk cloning help...

j4g3d

Ok so here is my issue:

I have dell laptop with 50GB hdd in it. The data on the HDD is 9GB

so i want to clone this HDD onto a 20GB hdd.

I tried using easus disk clone which i use on a regular basis for other tasks, it completes without errors but when i stick the 20GB hdd into the dell laptop it does not recognise it. Well it does but it says incorrect disk press ctrl+alt+del to restart.

Any ideas on how to go about this?

Thanks

Did you copy the partition or disk? I'd wager that you might have copied only the partition and are missing the boot sector. Have another go. EASUS is a good product.

Hi, i did not do a partition copy i did a disk copy. I even just tried again now and the same thing.

I get this message before the process begins to copy...

THE SOURCE DISK IS LARGER THAN THE DESTINATION DISK! ABOUT 27.95GB AT THE END OF THE SOURCER DISK WILL NOT BE COPIED TO THE DESTINATION DISK. PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT ALL VALID NESESSARY DATA IS IN THE FRONT PART OF THE SOURCE DISK AND THAT THIS AREA IS NOT LARGER THAN THE DESTINATION DISK.

So my question now is, how do i make sure all the data is in the first part of the disk?????

Just to update, ive managed to suss it out and all is ok now. What i did for future reference is.

1. I download GPARTED which is a free bootable program
2. With GPARTED i resized the hdd to 18gb (so effectively it crushed all the used sectors into 18gb)
3. I then ran easus or you can use clonezilla or similar to clone the drive.

ALL OK!!!

Back