Disk defrag doesn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

foreverzero89

hi i have vista home basic and i tried defraging my main and extrenal drives the other day but shortly after i begin the defrag it says it is complete. the whole thing takes approx one minute. anyone have a clue as to whats wrong?

there are some free defraggers like ultradefrag [open source],defraggler from piriform,..try with these ones....if everything gos ok..then go back to windows defragmenter.
if that continues you may have a virus or malware..

The Vista Basic Defrag is likely set on auto defrag... common issue that you do not have to worry about... If you REALLY need that defrag, click again and use the right click to snaggle out the right defragmentation choice.

mines not set on auto(i like to do these kinds of things myself) but i will try again and get back to you. yea the gefrag only takes like 10 seconds and no matter how many times io do it it says that system performance can be improved. i like open source:)

edit: so far it seems that ultradefrag is working, thanks

I could point out that there is defragging and optimising and deep optimising. And there are an embarrasment of defraggers available to download - mostly free.

Defragging alone just ensures every file is contiguous on disk, but still leaves lots of 'empty' portions of the disk which subsequently cause fragmentation to happen faster in future. This form of defragmentation can indeed be done in seconds. Optimisation, on the other hand, tries to eliminate the 'empty' portions. This requires massive amouonts of file movement and takes, well, hours sometimes. Then there is 'deep' optimising, which can mean various things, such as taking account of frequency of access AND frequency of re-writing to enable the fastest reading parts of the disk to contain those files which are frequently read, but hardly ever written to.

Oh, you could write a book about deframenting ! Some people have.....

Over the years, things have changed a lot, and in my view, defragmentation is just very rarely needed today, and can indeed, be a dangerous thing to do on a continuous basis - you are exercising the drive mechanicals a lot, and unnecessarily so. It must surely reduce the life of the drive.

The time when defragmentation was important was when drives were small, got full quickly, and when large files (music or videos) were a substantial fraction of the drive space. Under those conditions - which ceased 5-10 years ago - a heavily fragmented drive could slow your system, and even cause it to crash.

well i haven't done a good defrag in about a year, also i do alot of torrenting and move files around a lot. by todays standards i have a small drive too, just 140 gigs of free space.

foreverzero89, so you "torrent" and don't defrag- how about the malware? How long does it take to startup and shut down?

i was about to ask that,but that's out of topic..
and yeah i heard that a router-hardware firewall and windows firewall is enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back