Disk defragmenter could not start

Status
Not open for further replies.

richncali

What could possibly be causing me not to defrag my desktop? I have XP Home Edition SP2.
I get the message when attempting a defrag: "Disk defragmenter could not start".
Please help! I have run McAfee scans and they come out clean.

Check these Services:

Start > run > services.msc [enter]

Browse down to these Services, double click to open, see if appropriate settings was set:

1. Logical Disk Manager - Manual
Dependencies must also be running:
PlugNPlay
RPC

2. Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service - Manual
Dependency Services:
Logical Disk Manager
PlugNPlay
RPC

3. DCOM Server Process Launcher- Manual
Dependency Services:
None

Check and change the Startup Type as needed> It is easier to reset Services from Safe Mode because of the Dependencies.

Let me know if that handles it for you.

Disk defragmenter could not start (in XP)

I changed the dependencies in the DCOM Server Process Launcher to manual...should I reboot now and see if my pc takes a defrag? Is there something else to check? I'm thinking seriously of replacing the hard drive...what do you think?
Thanks,
richncali

should I reboot now
1. Yes
and see if my pc takes a defrag? Is there something else to check?
2. Do a Disc Cleanup.

3. Then run the Error Check before the defrag:
My Computer> right click on Local Drive -usually C> Properties> Tools> Error Check> Check both boxes on the screen that comes up> Close> Reboot.

Let the Error Checking complete- the computer will reboot when through.

4. Now do the defrag.

Here's a good idea, update to SP3 (it's free, and better for Windows operation)
Why wouldn't you do Windows updates anyway?

This is where the thread usually stops :suspiciou

Windows SP3 is not a requirement and any SP2 system that is current with updates is sufficient.

I thought I had this same debate months ago

XP SP3 is always preferred
I'm happy to list the areas that it helps if you like (being numerous)
But its being out for so long you would think that normally anyone would have updated by now :confused:

I did months and months ago, and way better for it
Thanks to MS for releasing this Service Pack (SP3) that users were pleading for so long to have :grinthumb

Certainly it is well worth it, and it'll probably even fix this fault

opinions vary on that subject.

imo, you're asking the O.P. to perform work that is optional and only a 50/50 chance of changing any symptom.

in short -- you're easter-egging (OMG! it is that time of year isn't it!)

Disk defragmenter could not start (in XP)

I ran the disk cleanup, then tried the error-check but instead got the following msg:
windows was unable to complete the disk check
What happens now? I finally bought the internal hard drive and may just go ahead to install it. Are there any other suggestions before I do this?
Thanks,
richncali

If you plan to install Windows XP on your new hard drive, I recommend you have all your motherboard and other device drivers on hand before you install XP. If this is a SATA hard drive, familiarize yourself with the F6 procedure to install SATA/RAID drivers during Setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back