Disk hardware configuration problem

By ladylaffsalot
Aug 4, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm having a problem.
    It started when I downloaded Windows xp(Home) onto a laptop (IBM ThinkPad) Well, I didnt realize at the time that I misplaced the product key, and when I got to that point in the downlkoad I could go no further. I found another windows xp version(Student and Teacher) that I did have a key for, but I couldnt stop the previous windows installation from restarting EVERY time it rebooted. It had windows xp (professional) on it when I began , but it was not working properly, hence the download. It is a used laptop and I dont have access to that original disk.
    So I went searching on the web to find out how to stop it. Well, I am not too savy with the inner workings of a computer and took to trying anything to stop it, since nothing I was trying was working.
    The last thing I tried was changing the boot.ini file and that has only made things worse!
    Now, I am only getting the error message: "Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem..." I'm sure you know the rest. So it will reboot whenever I hit any button. I get the IBM screen with the F1 & F12 options then back to the error screen. NOTHING ELSE!
    I've gone into BIOS and and tried every boot option, and none have worked. I'm completly lost at this point.
    I cant get a command prompt, or any kind of access to the boot.ini file to change it back.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ladylaffsalot
  2. strategic

strategic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,274

You'll have to get into the BIOS, change the startup drive to CD/DVD, and boot from your Student/Teacher CD. Once you boot from the CD, you may (slight chance) be able to use the recovery console, but you're better off at this point to do a fresh install. You'll jusst have to go through the hassle of knowing which drivers you need (unless you know all the computer specs):slurp:
  3. ladylaffsalot

ladylaffsalot Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thanx for the help. I did what you suggested and nothing happens. It ends back up at the "Disk hardware configuration..." error screen.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.