Disk hardware configuration problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having a problem.
It started when I downloaded Windows xp(Home) onto a laptop (IBM ThinkPad) Well, I didnt realize at the time that I misplaced the product key, and when I got to that point in the downlkoad I could go no further. I found another windows xp version(Student and Teacher) that I did have a key for, but I couldnt stop the previous windows installation from restarting EVERY time it rebooted. It had windows xp (professional) on it when I began , but it was not working properly, hence the download. It is a used laptop and I dont have access to that original disk.
So I went searching on the web to find out how to stop it. Well, I am not too savy with the inner workings of a computer and took to trying anything to stop it, since nothing I was trying was working.
The last thing I tried was changing the boot.ini file and that has only made things worse!
Now, I am only getting the error message: "Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem..." I'm sure you know the rest. So it will reboot whenever I hit any button. I get the IBM screen with the F1 & F12 options then back to the error screen. NOTHING ELSE!
I've gone into BIOS and and tried every boot option, and none have worked. I'm completly lost at this point.
I cant get a command prompt, or any kind of access to the boot.ini file to change it back.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ladylaffsalot

It is a used laptop and I dont have access to that original disk.

I found another windows xp version(Student and Teacher) that I did have a key for,

You'll have to get into the BIOS, change the startup drive to CD/DVD, and boot from your Student/Teacher CD. Once you boot from the CD, you may (slight chance) be able to use the recovery console, but you're better off at this point to do a fresh install. You'll jusst have to go through the hassle of knowing which drivers you need (unless you know all the computer specs):slurp:

Thanx for the help. I did what you suggested and nothing happens. It ends back up at the "Disk hardware configuration..." error screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back