Disk management does not list my 16MB memory card

Elliah

I want to change the drive letter of my memory card, which shows up and is usable from My Computer but is not listed on disk management. I'm running Windows XP SP3 on a dell vostro 1400. Is there any reason for this? The card is a Canon SD Memory Card SDC-16M

Put in a memory card that the computer DOES see in disk management, change the drive letter, then put in other card & see if the computer can see it then. I really don't think changing drive letters is going to allow you to see a memory card, most likely it's dead, but it's worth a shot. Hope this helps, take care!

Put in a memory card that the computer DOES see in disk management, change the drive letter, then put in other card & see if the computer can see it then. I really don't think changing drive letters is going to allow you to see a memory card, most likely it's dead, but it's worth a shot. Hope this helps, take care!

the card works and is perfectly usable and accessible from explorer/my computer. it just doesn't show up on disk management so I can't change the drive letter.

What does Disk Management show?
Does it show a drive letter for any media readers without the card inserted?

no...there is no drive letter for removable media at all, nor any media reader for that matter. is the 16mb capacity too small to be recognised?

1) Insert the memory card. Does a drive letter appear for it in My Computer? What letter?

2) Next start Disk Management. Click Start->Run, enter services.exe . Scroll down to Logical Disk Manager and Logical Disk Manager Administrator. Do both of these services show their Status=Started?

3) Finally, click Start->Run, enter msinfo32. Click Components->Storage
> Click Drives in left pane. Copy/paste the content displayed in right pane to your next post
> Click Disks in left pane. Copy/paste the content displayed in right pane to your next post

1) Drive E:
2) Both services status indicate started.
3) Drives:
DriveC:
DescriptionLocal Fixed Disk
CompressedNo
File SystemNTFS
Size44.60 GB (47,887,577,088 bytes)
Free Space24.67 GB (26,486,124,544 bytes)
Volume NameOS
Volume Serial Number48C6BE6F

DriveD:
DescriptionCD-ROM Disc

DriveE:
DescriptionRemovable Disk

DriveF:
DescriptionLocal Fixed Disk
CompressedNo
File SystemNTFS
Size27.35 GB (29,364,248,576 bytes)
Free Space22.17 GB (23,807,107,072 bytes)
Volume NameAristal
Volume Serial Number8CF7B80F

Disks:
DescriptionDisk drive
Manufacturer(Standard disk drives)
ModelFUJITSU MHY2080BH
Bytes/Sector512
Media LoadedYes
Media TypeFixed	hard disk media
Partitions4
SCSI Bus0
SCSI Logical Unit0
SCSI Port0
SCSI Target ID0
Sectors/Track63
Size74.53 GB (80,023,749,120 bytes)
Total Cylinders9,729
Total Sectors156,296,385
Total Tracks2,480,895
Tracks/Cylinder255
PartitionDisk #0, Partition #0
Partition Size86.26 MB (90,445,824 bytes)
Partition Starting Offset32,256 bytes
PartitionDisk #0, Partition #1
Partition Size44.60 GB (47,887,580,160 bytes)
Partition Starting Offset90,478,080 bytes
PartitionDisk #0, Partition #2
Partition Size27.35 GB (29,364,249,600 bytes)
Partition Starting Offset47,978,058,240 bytes
PartitionDisk #0, Partition #3
Partition Size2.50 GB (2,681,441,280 bytes)
Partition Starting Offset77,342,307,840 bytes

Description\\.\PHYSICALDRIVE1
ManufacturerNot Available
ModelNot Available
Bytes/Sector512
Media LoadedNo
Media TypeRemovable media other than	floppy
PartitionsNot Available
SCSI BusNot Available
SCSI Logical UnitNot Available
SCSI PortNot Available
SCSI Target IDNot Available
Sectors/Track63
Size7.84 MB (8,225,280 bytes)
Total Cylinders1
Total Sectors16,065
Total Tracks255
Tracks/Cylinder255
PartitionDisk #1, Partition #0
Partition Size14.03 MB (14,716,416 bytes)
Partition Starting Offset29,184 bytes

I have some info but, at the same time, must admit some of your data has me confused :confused: I'll explain

Disk Management has both an upper and lower pane. Volume drive letters in the upper pane, physical disks in the lower pane. Seeing drive letters in the upper pane is a multi-step process

Windows first recognizes a physical disk drive is connected and looks for valid volumes on the disk. For card readers, the reader itself is the physical disk.
> You should see the reader as one of the physical disks in the lower pane. In your msinfo32 "Disk" data you see it listed as drive E which also appears in My Computer.
Code:
DriveE:
DescriptionRemovable Disk

But E won't appear in the Disk Mgt upper pane until Windows recognizes a valid volume in the reader (meaning a card is inserted and a formatted volume is found on the card)

This where I'm confused. As you say you can open and Explore the card in My Computer?? Your msinfo32 "Drive" data for the card reader shows as below. It says "Media Loaded" No! Yet it seems to detect something in reader as there's media type and info in the data as well...

So you can really Explore the card via My Computer and see its files and folders???? If you insert a different working card does "Media Loaded" say Yes?? When no card is inserted, does the Media Type and other data simply say "Not Available"? (is what I'd assume when no card inserted)
Code:
Description\\.\PHYSICALDRIVE1
ManufacturerNot Available
ModelNot Available
Bytes/Sector512
Media LoadedNo
Media TypeRemovable media other than	floppy
PartitionsNot Available
SCSI BusNot Available
SCSI Logical UnitNot Available
SCSI PortNot Available
SCSI Target IDNot Available
Sectors/Track63
Size7.84 MB (8,225,280 bytes)
Total Cylinders1
Total Sectors16,065
Total Tracks255
Tracks/Cylinder255
PartitionDisk #1, Partition #0
Partition Size14.03 MB (14,716,416 bytes)
Partition Starting Offset29,184 bytes

I don't actually have another media card to try this on but I have copied an .exe game file and ran it. The program ran fine from the SD card. So I'm just as confused as you are.

ok...I tested the card on another computer and it shows up fine in disk management, so I suppose it's not an issue with the card itself. although the other computer was running windows 7. could it be an xp issue?

Back