Disk Read Error (on startup)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bgallz

I was on the computer, this happens once in a while by the way, and my screen freezes and then flashes the blue screen of death then restarts.

When the computer restarts after the load up stuff, it goes to a:

"Disk read error."

I have to open the box, unplug and plug back in the cable to my C drive for it to work.

Any ideas on this? Thanks!

The power supply is brand new. Just replaced the old OCZ 600W I had in there before. I recently added that, 2 GB ram, a little while ago - a 9800GTX.

Thanks.

So you are saying that this fault also happened with the original power supply?
Or that it has started happening since installing a new power supply and ram?

Anyway, it could be as simple as the data cables to the Hard drive require replacing
Or the Hard drive itself is faulty, you can run a diagnostics on that h e r e

not likely to be the PSU- although you can check with a tester tool and multimeter under load.

more likely bad or failing ram. Test with memtest 86+. Boot from a floppy or CD.

Also run CHKDSK C: to test a corrupted hard drive.

So you are saying that this fault also happened with the original power supply?
Or that it has started happening since installing a new power supply and ram?

It has been happening even with the older power supply so I don't think its that.

I will try that test as well as the memtest 86+ mentioned above when I get home. Thanks. If that fails, I am gunna see about getting new hard drive cables, cause it always seems to go away after unplugging/plugging them in.

* The same thing seems to happen with the CD drive I have sometimes. Like yesterday it wouldn't recognize any disc inside it until I turned off - unplugged/plugged back in.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back