"Disk read error" when trying to boot after Win XP on new partition

By dudeguy7
Aug 7, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. I had Windows 7 installed as my main OS. Then I created a small partition on the same drive. I put in my XP cd and began installing it on the new partition. It then restarted the computer and when it tries to boot the HDD I get "A disk read error has occured. Press alt + ctrl + del to restart".

I know my data is intact...but I have no clue how to access it.

Some more backstory: I was eager to install XP on a separate partition and was too naive to google about bootloaders and such, wasn't aware they were necessary, which is why I'm in my current situation. If I could just access my Windows 7 install I could probably use a bootloader to fix it all up.

Anyone have any ideas on what to do?
  2. g3rsiu

g3rsiu Newcomer, in training Posts: 40

usually popping the windows 7 install disk fixes this problem fairly easy - assuming its not a hdd failure, your Master Boot Record is corrupt

pop in the windows 7 install dvd - select repair - it should search end detect your win7 install and prompt you for next to attempt repairs

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.