Diskeeper error

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickzipser

Hi,

I just loaded Diskeeper 2008 Pro Premier on my system, I am running under Windows XP Professional SP3. I am getting the following message:

Diskeeper failed to connect to the service. The service may have stopped. See Windows Event Log for more details. Event viewer doesn't find the log.
When I try to start the Diskeeper Service I get the following message:

Could not start the Diskeeper service on Local Computer.
Error 1062: The service has not been started.

Thank you for your help on this matter.

Rick

Quite possibly a conflict with SP3. I recommend nobody use SP3 for at least 6 months. If possible, in your case roll back to SP2 and see if that is a cure. If so, you could inform Diskeeper developers, or just wait for a patch to Diskeeper or SP3 according to who gets their finger out first.

That's strange, because I am running Diskeeper 2008 pro on my XP Pro/SP3 flawlessly. It does an excellent job keeping the drives defragmented.

FWIW:. I installed SP3 on a clean install of XP Pro and then installed all other apps. I find that this is the best way to prevent problems down the line, when applying any Microsoft service pack.

Possible solutions to your problem:
1) Maybe the 'Diskeeper' service has been disabled or the 'Event log' service has been disabled. Go to 'services' under the 'administrative tools' menu and look for these two services. Right-click and set to 'automatic'. Reboot the PC (not really necessary, but just to be on the safe side) and try to start up diskeeper.

If that doesn't work,
2) Uninstall and re-install diskeeper.

and lastly,
3) Contact Diskeeper tech support.

Can't think of anything else.

Is there any other software such as Norton that might conflict with other apps on your system?

Krait, I would think your approach to SP3 is absolutely correct, but too much for most users to follow. We want the job done properly, service packs should work !!

Thanx for your help, but it didn't work.
I rolled my system back to SP2, uninstalled and reinstalled Diskeeper with The same results. I really don't want to reinstall windows. Any ideas?

Guys,

I fixed it! It dawned on me that if event viewer couldn't find an event log that maybe the service was turned off. Sure enough, it was. I then enabled the service and tried to restart Diskeeper service. Bingo! I then double clicked on Diskeeper on the desktop, and up it came. Why would event logging being off cause a problem with Diskeeper? I'm not sure why the event logger was off.

Rick

Sounds like an unnecessary requirement doesn't it?. Note Windows update won't work without three particular services set automatic (just turning them on manually is not enough). One is event logging, so maybe people say it must be on so if anything goes wrong, we can ask the users to send us a log to help with debugging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back