Disney+ stumbles as high demand leads to launch day login errors

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Highly anticipated: Disney+, the subscription-based streaming video service from media and entertainment conglomerate The Walt Disney Company, is now live in the US, Canada and the Netherlands although the launch hasn’t gone as smoothly as company executives had hoped for.

As CNBC reported, some users were met with an error message when attempting to connect to the new streaming platform. Reports of issued peaked around 8 a.m. according to Downdetector but have since fallen to under 1,500. A spokesperson told CNBC that consumer demand exceeded their highest expectations, adding that they are working swiftly to resolve connection issues.

Disney+ retails for $6.99 per month, or $69.99 per year. Interested parties can sign up for a seven-day free trial or take advantage of a bundle that includes Disney+, Hulu and ESPN+ for only $12.99 a month.

It’s available on virtually every major media platform including Android, iOS, Roku, smart TVs and game consoles and boasts noteworthy features like HDR and Dolby Atmos as well as 4K streaming for supported content (the entire Star Wars saga is available in 4K, for example). Best yet, a single account supports up to four active streams so family members won’t have to fight over who gets access at any given time.

Speaking of Star Wars, Disney premiered a special look at one of its most highly anticipated original series, The Mandalorian, during Monday Night Football last night. The series is now streaming exclusively for Disney+ subscribers.

As for what sort of experience to expect, CNN sums it up best. “The platform isn't revolutionary. It's basically Netflix, but stuffed with Disney films and TV shows.” And that’s not necessarily a bad thing considering Netflix is the industry leader. But one thing you won’t have to suffer through like on Netflix is those annoying, never-ending auto-playing trailers as you’ll need to manually activate a trailer to take it in (take note, Netflix).

Permalink to story.

A spokesperson told CNBC that consumer demand exceeded their highest expectations, adding that they are working swiftly to resolve connection issues.
IMO, this is typical marketing crap. Since everyone has been able to sign up for the service for some time now, they knew exactly what the demand was going to be. As I see it, this statement just injects some bling to the mix in an attempt to pump up demand - and lead those on the fence to DisneyTopia and a siphon form their wallets into Di$ney'$ bank account.

As of 12:48p (PST), its working just fine..... just watched Mandalorian Ep1, during my work lunch hour. Sign up and login, and watch, were smoove like buttah!

I signed up today and it has a LOT of kids stuff. The only real adult male content are the Star Wars and Marvel movies. I could see myself with nothing to watch after a month or two.

Of course Disney will add more adult tv series content, so I might cancel before my trial ends and try again in the future when the library has more of what I like.

It's PERFECT for kids though.

I signed up today and it has a LOT of kids stuff. The only real adult male content are the Star Wars and Marvel movies. I could see myself with nothing to watch after a month or two.

Of course Disney will add more adult tv series content, so I might cancel before my trial ends and try again in the future when the library has more of what I like.

It's PERFECT for kids though.

The fact that you are making this statement really speaks volumes. Their entire vault is being opened with too much classic content to count. If you can't find enjoyment in many classic titles that I am assuming you are calling "for kids" I feel truly sorry for you and your inability to digest various quality content because you consider it beneath you.

A few hiccups this morning, but all in all a very impressive launch. It's interesting to see all the Disney and Pixar titles in one place and available to stream.

I’m glad I have a deal fleshed out with various buddies to share our respective streaming platforms with each other. Having all of Netflix, Sling, Hulu, D+, and Spotify premium would be impossible without.

The fact that you are making this statement really speaks volumes. Their entire vault is being opened with too much classic content to count. If you can't find enjoyment in many classic titles that I am assuming you are calling "for kids" I feel truly sorry for you and your inability to digest various quality content because you consider it beneath you.

lol This is a first.

If Disney thinks they're going to steal market share from serious players like Netflix using a bunch of crappy old movies and G-rated content aimed at little kids, well they're in for a rude awakening. :)

Watched the 1992 version of Alladin with my 7 yr old grandson and 3 yr old granddaughter and they loved it.
I forgot how funny Robin Williams was as Alladin?

Back