Display cuts out, everything stops responding

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having a problem while opening any high memory using process, such as a game, and what's happening is my monitor is it's blacking out, and any sound that's playing or anything that's happening on my computer stops responding, the entire system freezes.

For example, I'll start playing a song on iTunes, then I'll open wow, and my monitor will go black, the song will stop playing, and nothing will respond. The blue power button on my monitor also flashes at a steady pace when the monitor goes black.

My current set up is:

CPU: Intel core2 E6550
VGA: Nvidia 8800
Memory: 2 Gigs OCZ DDR2 1066
Power Supply: Enerrmax ATX: 12V 485W
Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 2053 BW

I think that's all that matters that could be a problem, please help or feel free to suggest anything! I've tried a few things to try and solve the problem, and it's been happening for about a month now randomly :(

Does the computer turn off?

It could be the graphics card since the 8 series of nVidia cards had a manufacturing issue, it could be a faulty power supply or it could be a loose processor heatsink causing the PC to overheat and turn off.

Check the heatsink first, then power supply, then graphics card.

Does the computer turn off?

It could be the graphics card since the 8 series of nVidia cards had a manufacturing issue, it could be a faulty power supply or it could be a loose processor heatsink causing the PC to overheat and turn off.

Check the heatsink first, then power supply, then graphics card.

heatsink is fine, according to bios nothing is really over heating, and im checking after the pc has been on for a decent amount of time, I doubt its the vid card as it's fairly new, and didn't act up when I first got it, plus video isn't the only thing that's freezing, its the entire system :( power supply is very possible

I would carefully check the nVidia site to be sure that card is not mentioned as one for which there is a free replacement, or a firmware update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back