Display driver problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mom26gr8kids

I have been having some issues with my monitor and I am trying to determine if I need a new monitor or if it's an issue with my PC.

Every couple days my screensaver quits working and the monitor screen is just black. When I strike a key or move the mouse there is no response on the screen, I don't get a picture to come up, so the only way to get my computer to respond is to hold the power button down to shut it off. Obviously I don't want to keep shutting off the computer that way. One time as I was sitting at my desk reading (waiting for something to download) the screensaver was running and I noticed that it "froze", so I immediately moved the mouse and the screen came back up with a picture and a message that said something like "Your display driver failed but managed to recover itself". The message has not come up again, so that is the best summary I can give. i don't know if there was an error number given, or the exact wording of the message, but it was something like that.

My husband thinks that we have a virus, but I have run several virus/spyware scans in addition to my normally scheduled scans. I have Comodo for a firewall, and I use AVG for antivirus and SuperAntiSpyware for anything else. I do not think it's a virus problem. I think we either need a new monitor or that we have a driver that needs to be updated.

I have a Dell Monitor, a tube monitor, not a flat screen. I have an Acer computer and we are running Windows Vista. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks
Kendra

How old is the monitor? Do you have another monitor that you can hook up to your system to see if the same issues occur?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back