Display embedded into contact lens, powered wirelessly

By Rick
Nov 23, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Researchers have been testing (their website appears to be under heavy load) a new display that can be embedded into a contact lens and powered wirelessly by a detached energy source. Despite…

Read the whole story
  2. DokkRokken

DokkRokken TS Rookie Posts: 267

When they debut these for consumer use, I'll be the first in line to buy, just so I can be the first person to say 'My Vision is Augmented.'
  3. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,219   +157

so after you get the crosshairs installed, you can get the laser eye surgery...meaning installation of. nah..nah..nah..nah..nah
  4. AnonymousSurfer

AnonymousSurfer TS Guru Posts: 451   +37

I probably wouldn't get this, seeing I don't really trust these kind of things in my eyes. Maybe far into the future with lots of studying upon this, would I get them.
  5. jeffz6

jeffz6 TS Rookie Posts: 79

Anyone else thinking with a little motion tracking, these could overlay a image on your wife making her young and sexy forever?
  6. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

I can see the headlines now. LOL

"Officer, while driving home from work a dragon tried to kill me. Honest to God truth, thats why I crashed my car."
  7. Very bad. One day this can cause to bad things. Leave it natural
  8. Great! Now I'll be able to see ads even if I close my eyes!
  9. jeffz6

jeffz6 TS Rookie Posts: 79

You do already, its called radio
  10. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,248   +220

While this may be true now in future we will see humans being alot more artificially enchanced then they are now, its called evolution.

By 2300 I can see Transhumanism on large scale (if it make it till then).
  11. Marv

Marv TS Rookie

To be honest, unless this adds anything particularly major (which my guess is that it won't for the majority), I'll be without sticking contacts in my eyes. I've been wearing them for the last 6 years, and can't wait until I can afford laser surgery.
  12. Cool! Now we can watch Ads even in our sleep ;))
  13. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,677

When I played through Deus Ex HR I killed every person who said something along those lines. People standing in the way of progress due to fear mongering.
  14. meh i think it would have been better if they tried to embed them in to something like glasses that people wear all the time now (vision correcting glasses ...3d glasses etc..) would have been much easier and less hazardous for the user. I mean most people get jittery when putting some contact lenses in their eyes and now contact lenses with circuitry?
  15. Poor rabbits....
  16. Why not start with eyeglasses first? Seems like that would be easier. You could incorporate the power source into the frames. Plus you wouldn't, you know, destroy your eyeballs from the heat emitted from an electronic contact lens.
  17. What happens when someone overpowers your signal with other information?
  18. Rahziel

Rahziel TS Rookie

Life with a heads-up display = awesome
  19. everybody will be playing halo on the streets... looking like dumbasses
  20. It's called the Singularity. It was coined by Ray Kurzweil. It is the point where humans and machines become one and we cease to be completely human. There was an article in Time magazine about him and there is also a movie. Pretty interesting stuff and at times boring. He is a very weird guy, buy everything he has protected about technology so far has come true.