DisplayPort 1.3 to support 5K displays, multiple 4K monitors

Shawn Knight

Staff member

displayport dell 4k 5k displayport 1.3

The Video Electronics Standards Association (VESA) on Monday announced the DisplayPort 1.3 standard. The new standard, which will replace the existing 1.2a standard, will support 5K displays at a resolution of up to 5,120 x 2,880 (equivalent to 14.7-megapixels) across a single cable. 4K monitors, we hardly even knew you.

DisplayPort 1.3 will offer up to 32.4Gbps of single-link bandwidth split across four pipes (25.92Gbps when you factor in overhead). That is nearly twice as much as competitor HDMI 2.0 is capable of and 50 percent faster than the existing DisplayPort standard.

The HDMI competitor isn’t just for 5K monitors, however. VESA said it will also be able to drive multiple monitors through a single connection using DisplayPort's Multi-Stream feature. For example, one could run two 4K monitors – each with a resolution of 3,840 x 2,160 when using VESA Coordinated Video Timing.

As 9to5Mac points out, the timing of the announcement couldn’t be better as 4K monitors continue to come down in price. What’s more, multiple 5K monitors are just around the corner.

If you recall, Dell announced the UltraSharp 27 Ultra HD 5K monitor less than two weeks ago with a resolution of 5,120 x 2,880 and a pixel density of 218 pixels per inch. The screen will ship with a pair of 16W Harman Kardon speakers, a media card reader and six USB ports later this year with carrying a price tag of $2,500.

DisplayPort 1.3 is available as of writing to VESA members. We’re told to expect devices supporting the new standard to crop up sometime next year (Dell's UltraSharp 27 requires two DisplayPort 1.2 cables).

Permalink to story.

On one hand - finally, at long last, hurrah!

On another - this doesn't seem to follow what was promised (38 Gbit)

- Supporting 8K at 60Hz;
- Supporting 4K at 120Hz;

From what's posted here, none of these will happen, it seems. I don't see enough detail in this article, have to go through other sources now...

UPDATES

1. 4K @ 120Hz is supported, but without USB 3.0 support at the same time.
2. 8K at 60Hz is supported, but only at 7680x4320. The full 8192x4320 is only through 4:2:0 subsampling.
3. No specific indication, but it seems that 5K is supported at 60Hhz only, which is a shame, the new standard has enough throughput to support at least 90Hz, it seems.
4. We indeed ended up with 32.4 Gbps of bandwidth supported out of 38 Gbps promised. This however is a good news for Intel and Apple, because at this rate Thunderbolt 3 won't struggle to provide conversion to DisplayPort 1.3
5. Support for 5K was never on the list, it became the last minute push done by VESA - nice!

P.S. Now I do expect that nVidia GTX 980 will have DisplayPort 1.3. These announcements do not coincide by chance.

Last edited:
On one hand - finally, at long last, hurrah!

On another - this doesn't seem to follow what was promised (38 Gbit)

- Supporting 8K at 60Hz;
- Supporting 4K at 120Hz;

From what's posted here, none of these will happen, it seems. I don't see enough detail in this article, have to go through other sources now...

UPDATES

1. 4K @ 120Hz is supported, but without USB 3.0 support at the same time.
2. 8K at 60Hz is supported, but only at 7680×4320. The full 8192×4320 is only through 4:2:0 subsampling.
3. No specific indication, but it seems that 5K is supported at 60Hhz only, which is a shame, the new standard has enough throughput to support at least 90Hz, it seems.
4. We indeed ended up with 32.4 Gbps of bandwidth supported out of 38 Gbps promised.

P.S. Now I do expect that nVidia GTX 980 will have DisplayPort 1.3

You poor thing, monitors you can't afford aren't supported by displayport 1.3.....

well your link doesn't work. And by "can't afford them" I mean "can't afford the hardware to support them." You really don't need to lie on the internet, though, it's okay.

You are the one lying here. And the link works.

Link works for me in chrome.. As an AV design professional I found VitalyT's comments both interesting and informative. Thank VitalyT for the great insight and research.

Link works for me in chrome.. As an AV design professional I found VitalyT's comments both interesting and informative. Thank VitalyT for the great insight and research.
Or are you just vitalyt posting as a guest?

Or are you just vitalyt posting as a guest?

Do you have proof it's them? Otherwise just kindly don't continue picking a fight. Not everyone wants to make an account, just to post so they have a name applied to a post. It's useful information for those, who want to go beyond the 1440p but push more than 60Hz on a monitor. You need the hardware to push the demand, otherwise it's just trivial to upgrade to it.

Better to see how the quality is, before you drop cash on a new thing. Unless you feel adventurous enough to waste thousands, on potentially something rather sub-par in the end. People might have the money, but enough brains to actually wait for hardware to mature. You don't save money, jumping on every new fad in hardware.

4K just started becoming more of a thing, but still yet to see it in streaming services. Now we have 5K being thrown at us but really, it depends on your needs if you want that extra space. Gamers are unlikely to be the main focus, but as they noted for those in graphic design and such. You can use that extra space, to better manage various things or see everything you otherwise can't see.

Better to see how the quality is, before you drop cash on a new thing. Unless you feel adventurous enough to waste thousands, on potentially something rather sub-par in the end. People might have the money, but enough brains to actually wait for hardware to mature. You don't save money, jumping on every new fad in hardware.
This is why I love you Drake.

And just to mention there are people that understand the tech is new/fresh; know they are wasting money and just want to see how things will look and run. 4K, 5K and 8K will take years to settle in. Personally I just can't wait to see how well the new 900 series GTX cards run 4K.
I really hope reviewers start including 4K results considering how affordable they are now.

Does the new standard improve FreeSync compared to displayport 1.2a? I only found that it will continue to support it, but no other details.

And just to mention there are people that understand the tech is new/fresh; know they are wasting money and just want to see how things will look and run. 4K, 5K and 8K will take years to settle in. Personally I just can't wait to see how well the new 900 series GTX cards run 4K.
I really hope reviewers start including 4K results considering how affordable they are now.

People here fall into the following categories:

1. Techies - know the technology and follow the trends;
2. Spec junkies - chasing the latest tech to read, speculate and get hyped about;
3. Tech junkies - buying all the latest tech, usually rich enough;
4. Observers - sticking into every tech subject without real interest or knowledge in any;
5. Trolls - haters and common internet rejects;

Myself, I'm totally lost between 1-2-3. One thing for sure - there is little objectivity here ;)

Last edited:

People here fall into the following categories:

1. Techies - know the technology and follow and trends;
2. Spec junkies - chasing the latest tech to read, speculate and get hyped about;
3. Tech junkies - buying all the latest tech, usually rich enough;
4. Observers - sticking into every tech subject without real interest or knowledge in any;
5. Trolls - haters and common internet rejects;

Myself, I'm totally lost between 1-2-3. One thing for sure - there is little objectivity here ;)

I'm kinda just a mix between 1, 2 and likely 4. Many would likely throw 5 on me, because it's just easy to label someone that. I love tech in general and watching things evolve, but I don't have the cash to spend on something. Heck my PC is 4 years old, but I don't go maxing things on triple display. ;)

I've currently got a TV/Monitor, mostly being it's large enough for my needs. Game on a console (Wii, I'm a cheapskate! xD), play PC games and watch things on YouTube. Streaming services are very niche to me, being I rarely find TV series interesting and not a movie goer. I'm most likely going to go with a 1440p / 144Hz display, and that will be the main focus only when I do upgrade displays.

Even if I had the cash, I'd rather watch things mature. We see people jumping onto 4K screens, but with OS needing proper scaling and such? I can imagine the massive headaches, trying to see a tiny browser page on one monitor. This is a welcome thing for those who A) Watch TV and want great quality at a distance and B) Those who need the screen real estate, for their jobs which demand more screen space.

Call me a cheap whatever you want, I hooked up my previous VGA monitor (4:3) just as a second screen. Mostly as I might want something for extra information, I don't want to throw another $100+ on something that's only used 3% of the time. ;)

Back