Samsung unveils new Odyssey G9 49-inch ultrawide and Odyssey G8 32-inch 4K 240Hz gaming...

Daniel Sims

Staff
Something to look forward to: Several manufacturers are unveiling new high-end monitors set to debut during CES this month or sometime in the first quarter of 2024. Samsung is the latest with three new Odyssey models offering 4K and 1440p resolutions at high refresh rates. Some of the company's proprietary technology could give its models a slight edge for some users.

Samsung has unveiled the new Odyssey G9, G8, and G6 OLED gaming monitors, which it plans to showcase at CES next week. The upcoming products feature specs similar to anticipated models that are coming from the likes of HP, Dell, MSI, Asus, and LG plan to reveal soon.

Like most other companies, Samsung is releasing a 4K 240Hz monitor – the 32-inch Odyssey G8 G80SD – and a 1440p 360Hz option, the 27-inch Odyssey G6 G60SD. The new Odyssey G8 is the company's first flat 32-inch 4K panel. Both new monitors promise 0.03ms GTG response times.

However, Samsung's most unique entry is the 49-inch Odyssey G9 G95SD. The curved ultra-wide 32:9 screen delivers 5120 x 1440 resolution at 240Hz. While the company didn't mention the exact curvature, 1800R seems to be the standard among offerings of similar specs.

All three monitors feature VESA DisplayHDR True Black 400 and support AMD FreeSync Premium. Furthermore, they include two HDMI 2.1 ports, a USB hub, and a DisplayPort 1.4 input.

One of Samsung's exclusive features is OLED Glare-Free, which should improve image quality in various lighting conditions without requiring additional equipment. Another is Multi Control, enabling the Odyssey G9 and G8 to connect to certain Samsung devices like Galaxy tablets and phones for extra screen real estate. These two models can also connect to compatible IoT devices through Samsung's SmartThings Hub.

The competition is set to offer generally similar monitors to the G8 and G9, with a few unique features to set them apart. HP's 32-inch 4K Omen Transcend might be the only monitor in the race with DisplayPort 2.1. Additionally, it has the highest power delivery wattage at 140W (Asus and MSI have confirmed 90W) and unique burn-in mitigation technology. Meanwhile, LG's 32-inch 4K UltraGear includes Dual-Hz, allowing it to switch between 4K at 240Hz and 1080p at 480Hz.

None of the companies have revealed pricing yet or exact release dates for their monitors. Expect more information from all of them once CES kicks off next Tuesday, January 9.

Permalink to story.

Me after using that G9 monitor...

eyes-apart.jpg

It gave me an edge, alright, a twitchy one.

These new monitors will probably use Samsung's new, second generation QD-OLED panels. Those panels will use a slightly improved pixel structure to improve text clarity, but the subpixels are still arranged in a triangle, which means the fringing issue has not been fixed. So much for hoping for an OLED monitor with a standard RGB subpixel layout. Looks like productivity users are stuck with IPS for the foreseeable future.

For this size, resolution is a joke. Thankfully LG announced 39 and 45 inch uw with 5k resolution so can't wait to get one of those...

These new monitors will probably use Samsung's new, second generation QD-OLED panels. Those panels will use a slightly improved pixel structure to improve text clarity, but the subpixels are still arranged in a triangle, which means the fringing issue has not been fixed. So much for hoping for an OLED monitor with a standard RGB subpixel layout. Looks like productivity users are stuck with IPS for the foreseeable future.
At 4K 32inch, the ppi is substantially increased over the 1440p gen1 panels, so I’d assume it’s even less of an issue along with the slightly improved pixel layout.

I’ll be happily using it for productivity when I can get my hands on one.

At 4K 32inch, the ppi is substantially increased over the 1440p gen1 panels, so I’d assume it’s even less of an issue along with the slightly improved pixel layout.

I’ll be happily using it for productivity when I can get my hands on one.
I prefer 27" monitors, and the new 27" is going to be a 1440p monitor, unfortunately.

I prefer 27" monitors, and the new 27" is going to be a 1440p monitor, unfortunately.
See, I'm actually with you on this, I really like my 27" 1440p current screen, I don't know if I want to go bigger, but I haven't used a 32" monitor at all to say if I'll like it or not.

My desk isn't very deep, I sit about 70cm away from the screen, so the higher ppi would be nice, but I don't know if I want more screen in-front of me.

I need to make a decision soon though, my current screen is like, 12 years old now and is slowly failing (dead pixels, powering on issues, flickering).

LG are supposedly researching to produce RGB OLED's in the future as per TFT Central's report, but at the moment there is no production and even if they do go that way it will be years until we will have those products.

Also what is known is that LG will rearrange the color order. This too will make a positive difference.
It still wont be RGBW (W stands for White) but it's better than the current RWBG layout.

The new layout will be RGWB. Personally I would have liked to see RGBW but maybe there's a technical reason why the white one has to be between the green and blue, instead of being the last.

Honestly the faster and most cost effective way would be for Microsoft to get it's act together and optimize windows for QD-OLED and WOLED pixel structures.

Back