Distorted image, possibly GPU?

Hey everyone,

My computer started giving me distorted images just the other day and shut it down. Turned it on yesterday morning and worked great, started downloading and did it again. Shut it down. This morning turned it on and still giving a distorted image. I opened it up, dust everywhere, seperated and cleaned fans and every place I saw with dust on it. Cleaned the filter in the front as well which was gunked up.

Anyways I am stumped because it still gives a distorted image. There is barely any dust now, and everything is good as far as temperature goes. I am figuring that it is my graphic card because I can get on the computer and use it, just the resolution is bigger (at lowest settings) and the image is distorted. I thought maybe the GPU had overheated but I left it over night off, and it still has the distorted image in the morning. I don't have an integrated GPU so I couldn't check it.

Computer specs:

AMD Athlon (tm) 64 X2 Dual core Processor 5000+ 2.61 GHz
3.00 GB RAM
32-bit Operating System
GeForce 8500GT DDR2 512mb PCIe
M2R32-MVP (motherboard)

Temps: (at idle)
Processor Core #0: Min:29C Max: 42C
Processor Core #1: Min: 32C Max: 44C
GPU: Min: 72C Max: 72C
Fans are at 100% (total: 3)

I have attached an image of my screen. Any help would be appreciated, I am a rookie computer builder and learning as I go. Thanks for the help. Oh and I have had this computer, with hardware for about six years I just changed the motherboard about a year ago. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• S5001427.jpg
    S5001427.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 3
Yes, I would say that your video card is the cause. You could try removing the video card and clean the contacts with a pencil eraser and then reinstall it... Dust acts like a blanket holding in heat. Excessive heat is not good for electronics or computers

GPU: Min: 72C Max: 72C
Fans are at 100% (total: 3)

That gpu temperature is too much,it may be responsible for the problem.
I suggest you take out the card and clean it up thoroughly and then install it back.And you also have to ensure that the hot air is not getting trapped and it has a free way out of the computer case.
I hope this may reduce the temp. :)

Probably it happens due to high temperature of your graphic card. As T77 mentioned try to clean the coolers and perhaps apply new layer of thermal paste to reduce the "hyperthermia" of your graphic card. =X

Back