Distributed computing bump

Technochicken

I've been running Seti@home for the TS team over the last few months, but I am currently the only active member. We do not seem to have any other distributed computing teams, as the cancer one has shut down, and I don't think anyone uses the folding@home one. Would anyone else be interested in joining a TS distributed computing team? If people want to work on something closer to home than SETI, there are a number of BOINC (the best DS client I have used so far) projects having to do with medicine, climate, biology, and other categories:

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/projects.php

I personally think Rossetta@home might be a good one if no one wants to stick with SETI, as it does protein folding and supports a wide variety of platforms.

Anyone else have opinions or other comments?

I would be interested in a TS team for a worthy cause.

I curently use F@H on and off. Whats the viable options then?

What would be the option with F@H? An official team could be started, but I personally really do not like the F@H clients. The regular client is fine, but it only uses one core. The work units for the SMP client are much too long, so they are never finished on time unless you leave your computer on 24/7. I recommended BOINC because it supports multi-core CPU's as well as GPU's, all in one bit of software.

What would be the option with F@H? An official team could be started, but I personally really do not like the F@H clients. The regular client is fine, but it only uses one core. The work units for the SMP client are much too long, so they are never finished on time unless you leave your computer on 24/7. I recommended BOINC because it supports multi-core CPU's as well as GPU's, all in one bit of software.

Whats the link to BOINC, I'll check it out when I have a few mins. :)

Thanks Technochicken. I'll have a detailed look in a bit - The fact it supports Linux, Win and OSX is good though, as use all 3 at home!

Back