DMA-1 error system halted

Thanks in advance for reading.

Just got some new hardware in the mail today, and put it all together. Being barely computer literate, the first couple of times I've constructed a computer I haven't had any issues. However, this time I'm getting these dma-1 errors.

where do these things usually begin from? what should I be checking for? Is there a usual plan of attack for problems of this nature?

Hardware is as follows incase needed.

AMD Phenom II X6 Six Core 1090T Black Edition 3.20GHz (Socket AM3) - Retail
HIS ATI Radeon HD 6850 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB 2.5" SATA 6Gbs Solid State Hard Drive (CTFDDAC064MAG-1G1)
Asus M4A87TD Evo AMD 870 (Socket AM3) DDR3 Motherboard
Samsung SpinPoint F4 EcoGreen 2TB SATA-II 32MB Cache - OEM (HD204UI)
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700w Silent SLI Certified Modular Power Supply
Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (CMX4GX3M2A1600C9) - x2 of these
Asus Xonar D1 7.1 PCI Sound Card
Samsung SH-B123LRSBP 12x BD-ROM 16x DVD Writer Drive - Black (Retail)
Asus TA-M11 Midi Gaming Case - BlackSilver
Antec Tri-Cool 120mm Green LED PWM Fan

First thing I'd suggest is to pull the Asus Xonar D1 7.1 PCI Sound Card.

Maybe also disconnect the Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB 2.5" SATA 6Gbs Solid State Hard Drive (CTFDDAC064MAG-1G1).

Does the BIOS load OK? If so, first thing to check would be the following in BIOS:

1. CPU is correctly recognised - Some motherboards need a BIOS update to support newer CPUs.
2. Is the RAM correctly identified? All 4 sticks, and are the voltages, and timings identical to those of the memory sticks?
3. Disable on-board sound if your using the replacement sound card (unless this is the one that came with it?)
4. Check the SSD is recognised
5. Check the HDD is recognised
6. Check the BD-ROM is recognised.
7. Set data mode to AHCI/SATA
8. Set boot priority as: 1. Blue ray 2. SSD 3. HDD
9. Insert Windows install disc and reboot.

Assuming all of this is OK...

Remove the GPU, sound card, all but one stick off RAM, and the HDDs. Try and boot then and see if it runs to POST OK.

Assuming it does, fit one component at a time and keep rebooting until it stops working - Then you have your culprit.

I think (not certain though!) that the DMA error is likely related to PATA devices, which you haven't got listed. Do you have any devices fitted with ribbon style PATA/IDE interfaces?

Back