DMI issue on new build

vale46

Hi all, hope you had a great Xmax ;)

I recently built a new PC (My first) and i managed to **** up the HD by installing the OS from a doner PC in fear of CD/USB installation problems. I was informed that this was not a clever idea as the hardware signitures wouldnt match my new machine so i needed to format and do a clean install to which i did.
When i booted the new machine for the first time, after the bios screen came and went i was presented with this.

"Verifying DMI pool data................................"
"bootmgr missing press any key to restart"

So i unplugged everyting and tried again. same result.

So i unplugged the HD and rebooted. this time i got,

"Verifying DMI pool data............................
................................................................."
"Disk boot failiure, insert system disk and press enter"

I then decided to plug HD back in and install from my bootable USB. the install went fine. i booted from F12, selected USB and Windows went in no problem.

I put all my drivers in that came with certain bits and the PC is running like a dream only issue i have is when i reboot i get this message still,

"Verifying DMI pool data..........." (no hang !)

And then windows loads, i just thought it was suppose to say "update success" after it so not sure if i have a problem or not ?

Thanks for any advice given, i appreciate your time looking at my blurb lol

Regards,

Vale.

PC Spec if needed,

1) Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz Socket 1366 8MB Cache
2) Gigabyte GA-X58-USB3 iX58 Socket 1366 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
3) OCZ 12GB (6X2GB) DDR3 1333MHz/PC3-10666 Gold XTC Triple Channel Memory Kit For i7 Motherboards
4) Coolermaster Silent Pro 500W Modular PSU
5) Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache (2 Qty)
6) Gigabyte GT 240 1GB GDDR3 DVI HDMI Out PCI-E Graphics Card
7) Samsung SH-S223 22x DVD±RW DL & RAM SATA Optical Drive - OEM Black
8) All in 1 Internal Card Reader Plus One USB2.0 Port Black - 3.5" Bay
9) Antec 300 Three Hundred Case
10) 120mm Blue LED Fan - 4pin Molex Connection (2 Qty)

Your a star Sith Lord, i was just worried cos if i dissconnect all drives and re-boot i get the update success, its only when i connect the HD back up that the success dissapears and wondered if there was something else i had messed up with the HD, i read somewhere about replace/fix the master boot record on the hard drive might fix it ?

What to do think and if so how do you fix it ?

I will probably just leave it unless its not letting my PC at perform 100% ???

I would love to know how to rectify it though as i am sure its probably better for it to update successfully rather then not ?

Again, thanks for the comeback, at least i am not the only one with this issue,after all it doesnt stop windows loading nor any of my programs running ;)

Thanks again mate ;)

Edit: This gets worse :(

Just for piece of mind i start a total fresh, dissassembled the whole PC. took the cmos battery out and went for a cuppa

I installed everything back in and booted up.... same DMI issue but then a new one.

"lost DRAM size............."

self reboot,

"lost DRAM size............"

self reboot.

I took ram out and reseated,

on boot same DMI issue, then DRAM issue aarrgghhhhhh!!!!!!!

did a cold reboot and windows offered to repair system due to failiure to boot. I accepted but windows couldnt find a probelm.

I did another cold reboot, windows asked again, i opted to just load windows instead !! it loaded fine !

What going on ? have i got a faulty MB or Ram or HD or ?

This is getting me down, what should of been a plug and play job is turning into a more technical issue that i am not qualified to deal with, please can someone advise me further ?

OK,
update,
done 6 cold boot ups and 6 restarts and the "Lost DRAM size" seems to have gone, still got the DMI not updating but unless anyone has any ideas i think i will live with it ?

Cheers

DMI creates the framework that stores information about all your components. Thus, it will (and should) update if you've changed hardware like HDDs, DVD drives etc. Also, there is no confirmation message that the DMI data has been successfully verified because the OS booting would itself be a sign of that.

Yer, thanks sith think i will just live with no update succsess, seems to operate ok. What do you think the lost dram thin was all about ? seems to have sorted itself out now ?

weird going on though eh ?

I'm just curious, why would you expect an "update success" message, if nothing in the system has changed?

Windows 7 is self repairing. That said, if you interrupt the power when it thinks it shouldn't have been, Windows will throw up the error message you describe. It's sort of a half a**ed excursion into safe mode. If you actually yanked the power when the OS was loading, Windows might actually have had to repair itself.

I think that sometimes the "MBR", (master boot rercord), of a HDD is not overwritten in the event of even a full format, and that can cause trouble. Sometimes the solution is to "wipe" or "zero out" the drive. You seem to have gotten past this issue, so this is just an FYI sort of blurb. In the event of a full reinstall of Windows, the old MBR should be overwritten, and everybody lives happily ever after.

Because i assumed update success was the system working properly ? i'm a noob so i just like to ask questions i guess. All i want is to have the optimal performace for my buck so if there is anything that isnt quite right i want to know how to make it right, hence comming here it learn.

Plus, my old pc used to say update success and then load the OS so i just figured my new system should do the same ?

At the end of the day my new build pc works perfect so if getting no update success is the norm then i guess i am happy with that, thanks again Sith Lord.

First, you're the only person that the mods seem to allow serial posting. Everybody else, they tell to use the edit post button.

Second, let me repeat myself; "I'm just curious, why would you expect an "update success" message, if nothing in the system has changed?"

I've never actually noticed, (or cared about), the "update success", notification. You power down, plug the parts you're adding or replacing into the mainboard, (correctly), then, when you're finished, put the side back on and hit the power.

Third, you need to burn Windows to a DVD. The USB install is sort of cute and chic ATM, but I still, ( in my quaint and provincial way), insist on having a Windows disc, (and backup), for each of my machines.

This is because I'm tired of listening to a bunch of excuses about why people don't have a Windows disc, and why we should help them install a different version of Windows into the laptop in which they've, "lost the restore discs". The dog ate my Windows disc, etcetera, etcetera, ad nauseum.....

captaincranky said:
Third, you need to burn Windows to a DVD. The USB install is sort of cute and chic ATM, but I still, ( in my quaint and provincial way), insist on having a Windows disc, (and backup), for each of my machines.
I'll second that.

@ Captaincrank, Your a happy chat aint ya ! tell you what just for you i will burn a disk and use it on my new HD that will come any day now. If you cant be happy offering uplifting and positive help to a noob then i would appreciate you not offering any help for me at all from now on.

Thank you for all your input even if at times its mostly rude. There are plenty of other people on here that make you feel welcome and are willing to offer advice and not just sarcastic crticism.

EDIT !!!!! thanks again Sith lord, i will do just that for a fresh intall on the new HD :) thank you

EDIT !!!!! i appreciate your added input to post #6 Mr Cranky

EDIT !!!!!! Thank you again Mr Crank, you proved yourself well ! bet your parents would be proud. Please dont post again.

Back