DNS problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bartender802

A friend called me the other day about her pc not being able to connect. Now she has 3 pc's connected to a router. the PC that has the DNS problem is wireless. I ran the DNS fix on the machine and rebooted, but that did not work, reinstalled the drivers for her wireless card, its still not working. I have done both of these several times can only ping out by number and not by name. any other ideas that you might have.

Please try to use some punctuation, it makes it easier to get help.
Edited by StormBringer

I will guess that her O/S is WinXP.If so do you yu have the same workgroup name ,user names.
Also did you run the network setup wizard on the portable and the other machines again.

What do you mean by DNS fix?

Do you mean that you replaced the Winsock registry files with new good ones.

If not I would suggest deleting the Winsock files and copying them over from another known good working system with the same OS.

Originally posted by ak_in_charge
What do you mean by DNS fix?

Do you mean that you replaced the Winsock registry files with new good ones.

If not I would suggest deleting the Winsock files and copying them over from another known good working system with the same OS.

Tried it did not work. Co-worker suggested to flush the dns

How does this DNS problem manifest itself? No need to go round reinstalling drivers and stuff if you have TCP/IP working and you just can't resolve names.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back