DNS problem

By Bartender802
Mar 22, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A friend called me the other day about her pc not being able to connect. Now she has 3 pc's connected to a router. the PC that has the DNS problem is wireless. I ran the DNS fix on the machine and rebooted, but that did not work, reinstalled the drivers for her wireless card, its still not working. I have done both of these several times can only ping out by number and not by name. any other ideas that you might have.

Please try to use some punctuation, it makes it easier to get help.
    Edited by StormBringer
  2. Liquidlen

Liquidlen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,646

I will guess that her O/S is WinXP.If so do you yu have the same workgroup name ,user names.
    Also did you run the network setup wizard on the portable and the other machines again.
  3. ak_in_charge

ak_in_charge Newcomer, in training Posts: 137

What do you mean by DNS fix?

Do you mean that you replaced the Winsock registry files with new good ones.

If not I would suggest deleting the Winsock files and copying them over from another known good working system with the same OS.
  4. Bartender802

Bartender802 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 58

Tried it did not work. Co-worker suggested to flush the dns
  5. Nodsu

Nodsu Newcomer, in training Posts: 9,431

How does this DNS problem manifest itself? No need to go round reinstalling drivers and stuff if you have TCP/IP working and you just can't resolve names.
  6. Bartender802

Bartender802 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 58

have no idea
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.