DNS servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZaUcY

can anyone explain to me how to create a DNS server? i am trying to create one and can't really find any tutorials of some sort on it. can i just create one for my machine to host for free? or am i going to have to go through a third party site?

thank you

DNS (Domain Name Service) is fundamentally simple. In database terms;
Code:
domain.name -> ip address
ip address-> other specific information
You don't want to do this for yourself!

you can find various implementations using google. one notable is called BIND.

Do you mean a Windows Server Domain controler?

Or perhaps setting up DNS services on a server?

But give us some details and perhaps we can help.

Mike

well i'm working with a guy that has a job in networking security and he's teaching me what he knows. he wanted me to build a DNS server of a fake bank website that we can practice on but i just found out he just wants to build like a local internet on our network for us to use.... he gave me a website to download tools but i'm not sure if i need to use them to make this server which i'll provide the links for it. honestly im completely clueless on where to start so if anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

thanks

tools: http://www.foundstone.com/us/resources-free-tools.asp

what platform will it run on {Windows, Mac OS X, Linux (which one) } ?

there are two pieces; the GUI front-end and the DNS service (or Linux Daemon) which
will see the requests on port 53.

This all may be on the up and up but I will not touch it!

If it is legit better get help from your buddy!

Mike

I'm not positive but i think we'll have a variety of OS's. probably a few different types of windows machines and probably like on linux machine. but does that matter for making a server?

no problem mike i understand your reason not to help, thanks for tryin though.

I'm not positive but i think we'll have a variety of OS's. probably a few different types of windows machines and probably like on linux machine. but does that matter for making a server?
ouch! that should be obvious. I think you'll need more 'care and feeding' than I have the time to provide.

Get some books on Servers and or DNS

well theres every different OS out there that all views the same interent! i mean i'll be making it on a windows based machine but we'll have different OS machines on our network. but if you dont feel like helping me then its fine i'll figure it out one way or another.

yes, the data contained in the DNS is generic.

yes the means to access a DNS and get replies is generic.

the actual creation of and maintenance of a DNS is very platform specific.

How can anyone lead you to what you need when the objectives and platform are undeclared?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back