Do I have to reinstall the drivers when adding a new GPU?

Alpha Gamer

I currently have a gtx 560 ti and I'm acquiring a gtx 670. So, in the end, both cards will be under the hood.The 670 will go into the currently 560 ti slot and the 560 ti will go into the currently empty slot. Both use the same driver, do I have to reinstall it, or just stick the new gpu to the mobo and be happy ever after?

Generally, I say you should always re-install graphics drivers when adding a new card.

What is the reason for running both cards at the same time?

I assume the 560 Ti is going to be a PhysX dedicated card... amirite?

It's not quite plug and play, but all you have to do is download the latest Nvidia drivers and install them, it will detect which cards you're running. Good news is you won't have to uninstall anything beforehand.

I always forget some individuals will use Independent cards for PhysX. Well yeah, just re-install the drivers.

For the record: I didn't have to uninstall/reinstall anything.
But I did.
By the way, the card is huge! It took me and my girl more than an hour, from opening the case, changing the old gpu to another slot, removing my HD and putting it back (it was in the way), placing the new gpu and rearranging the cables to finally turn it on again.

For the record: I didn't have to uninstall/reinstall anything.
But I did.
By the way, the card is huge! It took me and my girl more than an hour, from opening the case, changing the old gpu to another slot, removing my HD and putting it back (it was in the way), placing the new gpu and rearranging the cables to finally turn it on again.
The GTX 670 is quite short for a high end card, the PCB itself for the reference card is actually tiny. If you think that's long then you obviously haven't seen the dual GPU on a single card monsters (6990, 690, etc.)

It sounds like you need a bigger case with better cable management next time you upgrade ;)

The GTX 670 is quite short for a high end card, the PCB itself for the reference card is actually tiny. If you think that's long then you obviously haven't seen the dual GPU on a single card monsters (6990, 690, etc.)

It sounds like you need a bigger case with better cable management next time you upgrade ;)
I have just bought this case... lol

"The reference card is around 24cm long with the fan on and around 15cm with the fan removed. GIGABYTE’s card, on the other hand, is around 27.5cm" That's the one I'm using.

http://www.bjorn3d.com/2012/05/gigabyte-gtx-670-oc/

According to nvidia's website, the gtx 690 is the same 27.5cm.
The ati 6990 is indeed bigger, measuring 30,5cm

Back