Do I need a new CPU or video card to run the newer games?

By Vidosoli
Dec 9, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I'm wondering on which one I need. My computer specs are the following:
    You Have: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 540 @ 3.07GHz

You Have: 3.1 GHz (I should have 4GB RAM, not sure how some of it got used)
    You Have: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 32-bit
    You Have: GeForce GT 430
    RequiredYou Have
    [​IMG] Pixel Shader version 5.0
    [​IMG] Vertex Shader version 5.0
    [​IMG] Dedicated Video RAM 1.0 GB

You Have: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
    I cannot run ANY of the newer games, even on the MINIMUM settings. I consider myself PC hardware-incompetent, so can someone tell me which parts I need to upgrade, and which are just fine.
  2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,804   +1,431

First thing you are limited to less than 4GB when using a 32-bit operating system. If you want to use all 4GB of memory you will need a 64-bit operating system.

To answer your question, I would say both CPU and GPU needs upgrading. (I am assuming you have a desktop and can upgrade since you don't have a mobile version of CPU)

Maybe get yourself an i5 for the LGA1156 platform, something like an i5-650.
    And then upgrade the graphics to GTS-450 or better. Better yet upgrade to the current AMD HD 7000 or nVidia 600 series and get a GTX-660 or better. Keep in mind though that a GPU upgrade could also mean a power supply upgrade would be required.
  3. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

If your budget is limited and you had to choose between a GPU or CPU then I'd definitely get a new GPU, that GT 430 is very weak. A new CPU will be quite expensive as LGA1156 is now a legacy platform, unless you pick up a used one from ebay or similar.

It would be useful to know your budget though.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.