Do I need a new power supply unit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdory18

my pc turned off today an d when i pressed the power on button, nothings happens. No power or anything. I do hear a low humming noise near the PSU. When I unplug the cord or switch the button off in the back, it stops. I opened my system and i had a green light on the motherboard. Is my power supply unit fried?

If you can't turn your PC on at all it's probably fried. I'm guessing you are using a stock PSU from the likes of Shaw? This has happened to my computer before on 2 seperate occasions. My suggestion is invest in a new PSU from another company like Antec, seasonic, Thermaltake... anything but shaw - AND look up reviews for them before you purchase, a little research now can stop a lot of hurt later.

Excellent advice from flukeh. Give us your hardware specs, i.e. motherboard, RAM and how much is installed, video card, etc., plus the OS you are running.

We'll be able to lend advice about a good psu choices for your system.

I like the ultra power supplies from Tiger direct. I've had them in 2 gaming rigs, I built, and they run great. Also most of them come with a lifetime warranty.

I take it you are using onboard video and audio, correct? Tell us the make and model of your power supply plus wattage. Open your side panel and the information should be on your power supply. Also please give us the +12v A.

Here is a power supply that should do you well: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139003

Another solid choice: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139008

Since you are running Vista and Vista loves RAM I strongly suggest you get another gig of RAM. Make sure it matches your current stick and that your Asus motherboard will accept it because Asus boards are very picky about what RAM can be installed.

In fact, if you go to Asus' website and look up your motherboard they will have a Quality Vendor List that states what memory is acceptable for your board.

now i have another problem. i got the new PSU, when i press the power the fans spin but the dvd or hardrive wont boot.

all the cables are plugged in but no power is going to my HDD or DVD drive. my case fan, motherboard fan, and PSU fan spins. the green light on the front of the case never comes either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back