TechSpot

Do I need to get a UPS that matches the wattage of my PSU?

By DCBNSB
Mar 21, 2008
  1. i got a 850 antec power supply i was wondering do you need an 800 watt UPS for it to work correctly.

my system spec.s are

E6750 2.66 @ 3.2

x2 1gig OCZ HPC PC 6400 memory

8800GT superclocked 650 @ 720mhz (soon to have 2 in SLI)

Nividia 680i mobo

WD raptor 150g 10,000 rpm

WD caviar 400g

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

Not really.. Your PSU is probaly not running at 100%. But then again, you want that UPS to power your monitor too, don't you? And you may want the thing last more than a couple of minutes.

The best thing to do would be to measure the power use of the system you want toput behind the UPS. A wattmeter is cheap. Then compare your wattage with the runtime chart for the UPS to see how long the thing would last in case of a power outage. (5 minutes is not enough to finish your stuff in the toilet, run to the computer in a dark house, save all your work and do a clean shutdown)

3. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,932   +126 Staff Member

Your system will draw less than 200w idle and less than 300w at full load

A APC Smart-UPS 1500 should power that system and a 20" LCD monitor when it's idle for more than 30 minutes... (with fresh batteries of course)

Least that's the runtime I get out of that UPS...

4. DCBNSB

DCBNSB TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 115

yea i forgot to mention my 22in widescreen monitor... hmm...

5. DCBNSB

DCBNSB TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 115

yea ok thanks guys

6. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

(5 minutes is not enough to finish your stuff in the toilet, run to the computer in a dark house, save all your work and do a clean shutdown)

Sometimes it takes more than 5 minutes just to crap! haha

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.