Do we have a Folding@Home Team?

By Marnomancer
Mar 30, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hey guys.
    I surfing for some Cyber Volunteering work ("Serious Games", SNGX? ;)), and I came across some interesting stuff. Folding@Home, they call it.
    I had, of course, seen it in action on other Community Forums. Which made me think, why don't we have such a Team?
    If we can integrate such a project, it will not only give another sphere to TS, but also, we will be doing some good, for our common future.
    There are many other @Home things out there, but I personally find this one most engaging.

Long story short, can we start TechSpot's own Folding@Home Team?
  2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,821   +1,432

I've spent two years with the project but not longer active. I would have a few tips if such a team was started.
  3. Marnomancer

Marnomancer TechSpot Booster Topic Starter Posts: 808   +51

Yeah, I noticed that in your signature.
  4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,478   +292

Just like I did with the SETI thread that popped up a couple weeks ago in General Discussion. We've done all this before, doubtful anyone is still doing it here.

Choosing the right project...
    Folding@Home Has discussion on people no longer Folding or running SETI. There was actually another thread with this exact topic, but it didn't add anything, so I didn't include it.
    Does TechSpot have a Folding@Home team?
    Does TechSpot have a Folding@home team? Yes, same title as above, different thread though.

So, yes, we have a team. Folding came along and somewhat fragmented the SETI group. Utility prices combined with a lot of us growing up and having to pay our own electricity bills (as opposed to parents or the school we were at) caused a lot of us to quit; I guess we all quit. Probably some were just tired of seeing their processor temps maxed out - I mean we get threads pretty often on people complaining their temps are too high (or asking if they are).
  5. Marnomancer

Marnomancer TechSpot Booster Topic Starter Posts: 808   +51

Hmmm...that is to be considered, too. It would be a good way for overclockers to show off their rigs, though.

I had searched the forums before posting here, but I didn't see any similar topics then...strange...'cause otherwise I wouldn't have posted this one.
    Still, as you said, I would want neither my temps nor bills shooting through the roof all the time. I'd rather Prime it for stressing purposes.

Anyway, I'll just stick to the cooling project I have on my hands for now. :haha:
  6. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,478   +292

Protip :D, I know it wouldn't have helped in this since you did search, but once your (or any) thread is posted, right below the quick reply box is a list of 5 threads that are deemed similar by the board. I got all but one of my links from there.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.