DOC (Word) to PDF

Status
Not open for further replies.

csana

can anybody tell me some ways to convert DOC files to PDF files?
I couldnt find any software(i wont be suprised if you guys can).

google for PDF995. It's a print driver such that you
  1. create / open a document
  2. select file->print
  3. select the PDF995 psuedo printer and click print
It creates a PDF in the folder of your choice and then you can just Cancel the print.

Let me add that you can use Openoffice to open your Microsoft Word document directly which can then be converted to a PDF as Tedster said.

Yes but its a big download, screws up all but the most basic formatting when importing from Word, and is generally inferior to Word, especially when you consider csana already has Word. jobeard's suggestion is the best, mine is second best, OpenOffice is a distant 3rd or 4th.

I would disagree with you wholeheartedly.

I have have had FEW documents that didn't convert totally over - and NONE recently.

As far as download size - that shouldn't be an issue as most people have broadband these days. You can always order a copy on CD.

Sure there will be people who like word. But you cannot beat the price of OO. It's FREE and a pretty damn good program on top of that. Unlike word, OO is updated far more frequently.

Okay.

My resume is a complete failure if its opened with Open Office, as are probably 90% of the resumes out there if they were created with Word.

Plus I see you spouting OpenOffice around here all the time, and sure it has its place, and will do pretty much what Microsoft Office will do and is free. But suggesting it for this instance is just the wrong approach, and the wrong argument. Its FAR overkill. It is like suggesting someone build a quad core system with 8 gigs of RAM and running Vista Ultimate 64 just to play Hearts. When the person already owns a Pentium 90 running Windows 95.

This guy already has a superior office suite, so he doesn't need to BUY Word to do this, he already has it. He needs a FREE suppliment to the OS to allow you to print to PDF. That is what jobeard suggested. Then I came up with an ALTERNATIVE suggestion if he didn't want to download something, which was a FREE online converter. He does NOT need to download a several hundred meg thing that updates monthly (which includes constant nags or constant downloads for updates) JUST to convert a file to PDF when there was already 2 better options suggested.

Now you can say OpenOffice will save to PDF too, but to actually make that a serious suggestion for this guy is just your pro OpenOffice stance clouding judgement.

I love OO - I use it myself - but that doesn't make it teh best program evar.

SNGX is right. It's a good program, but MSO is superior to OO in too many ways to ignore. There is (almost) absolutely no reason to use OO if you already have MSO. For most people though, OO is adequate.

And no, opening Docs in OO is FAR from perfect. This is especially true if you are using tables and more complex layout features, but even simple documents aren't 100% much of the time and the formatting changes in some small way... And let's not even consider the fact csana may have Office 2007. :)

well. we can argue M$ vs. OO all day long....... whoopee...

personally you CANNOT beat the performance of OO for the price. So unless M$ is free, there is no real comparison.

Depends upon who is going to be the main user. If it is a person very accustomed to office 2000, that is the one to get, just because of the frustration... because the Office 2000 Professional should be quite inexpensive... and when you factor in the learning curve for OO... you have to decide on the heat you will get.

Office 2007 seems stable Unlike Office 2003
Most companies still use Office 97 where some use Office 2000 or Office XP. The bug in Outlook PST size still is present in Office System 2003 and 2007. I don't know about Office 2008.

My resume can be open in Office 2000, 2003 and 2007 although it was created in 2007. resume.docx for 2007 or resume.doc for 2003.

I can't see using OpenOffice in the corp world as they are all using Microsoft Office Systems. and some use a mix of Outlook 2003 and Lotus Notes R7.

Office 2003 Service Pack 3 took care of all those problems quite nicely.

OpenOffice will never take hole in the corporate world because of the training needed, and the quick communications and security required in dealing with other corporate corespondents.
If it was going to happen, it would have happened by now, with entire governments in Europe adopting it... and the foolish cost of Office 2003, and 2007.

But it is great for college students and cheap people who just need good software

raybay said:
Office 2003 Service Pack 3 took care of all those problems quite nicely.

OpenOffice will never take hole in the corporate world because of the training needed, and the quick communications and security required in dealing with other corporate corespondents.
If it was going to happen, it would have happened by now, with entire governments in Europe adopting it... and the foolish cost of Office 2003, and 2007.

But it is great for college students and cheap people who just need good software

Are you use because I still had the problem and some buddies in the best like me still have the same issues. Outlook doesn't like huge PST files. Still up in the air with OpenOffice bit.

How do you mean Outlook doesn't like huge PST files? What do you consider huge, and how does Outlook reveal its dislike. We service a lot of people and businesses with a variety of very large Outlook systems, and have not noted what you say here.

1-2GB in size.. I've seen end users with 4GB PST plus multi-PST Personal Folders. I had one guy that had 12 of them. Migrated him from Outlook 200 to Outlook XP. I myself had 2GB here then migrated XP to 2003 but with 2007 found out that it would crash as soon as it open the PST. I've fix the problem but I don't load the older PST Personal Folders anymore. If you found a way around this and don't mine passing the cup around the table as they say..

actually there are quite a few governments both in the U.S. and worldwide that have adopted OO. Just go to OO website and look at the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back