TechSpot

Does anyone do this?

By wallabing
Jan 17, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jesse_hz

Jesse_hz TS Maniac Posts: 638

Remove the motherboard before installing the heatsink?

I always do that, but with some socket 775/T heatsinks it's not necessary.
  2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,434   +218

I always install the CPU and heatsink/fan outside the case. Isn't that standard practice? I also install the RAM modules outside the case.
  3. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,536   +301

I've done it both ways. Sometimes those retail Intel hsfs are a real pain. I did that one inside the case, had everything else hooked up so that was the reason I didn't remove the motherboard and try it.
  4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,832   +164

I always install the CPU HSF and memory outside the cases. The only time this might not be done, is when a power supply exchange requires me to unmount the motherboard to allow room between the HSF and the power supply mounting area. In some, there is enough room to install the CPU HSF when the motherboard is mounted in the case
  5. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,434   +218

If the motherboard is already installed and hooked up to everything, I can understand the appeal of trying to R&R the cpu and heatsinks with the motherboard in place. I think the original poster was referring to a new build though.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.