TechSpot

Does anyone know how to put Windows XP Pro Sp2 on External HDD

By Rukasuzu
Mar 17, 2008
  1. Dear Support
    Does anyone know how I can put Windows Xp Pro SP2 on an External HDD?

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Let's see now.. How about we use this huge search box at the top of this very web page and type in some magic words like "install windows xp usb drive". I know this sounds utopical, but I have a feeling that you just might get an answer from there..

3. Rukasuzu

Rukasuzu TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 174

Hey I found something hehe

I will try later on today
    This lil thing seems easy, I can hope it will work thought :)

Darn If I could I would post the topic but dunno how to post the link :(

4. Rukasuzu

The problem is now I get a blue screen By the way setup won't even load

I have did as they instructed it copied fine , the setup won't even load and I set it to Primary Active NTFS heh, "it" gives me blue screen hehe
    It just adds to boot.ini
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

5. Rukasuzu

I did with the cd Boot up and install on External didn work

I boot it up With the cd Formatted it And copy it Now when I restart it it didn't work
    All I did was messed up my boot.ini, so what I did to get back to win I'm atm I did this in recovery console, bootcfg /rebuild click yes and type /FastDetect You could try hitting enter, then I edited my boot.ini so it be back at normal like it was before :)
    But still no xp yet I will try Wednesday

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.