TechSpot

Does anyone know if a broadband internet cinnection can be shared over a firewire lan

By alvdy
Feb 13, 2006
  1. Does anyone know if a broadband internet cinnection can be shared over a firewire lan? or if it is even possible to create a local area netwrk using firewire cables when the firewire port is on my SB Audigy 2 ZS Audio soundcard?

Thanks in advance!

2. fgaliegue

fgaliegue TS Rookie Posts: 51

Provided that you can conifugre your LAN on firewire, yes you can.

But given the low price of 100 Mbit Ethernet cards and switches, why bother with Firewire in the first place?

3. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Do you see a "1394 connection" in your network connection in Windows? If yes, then just share away. It doesn't matter what type of network you have as long as it supports TCP/IP.

4. alvdy

alvdy TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 70

yup

i have a 1394 connection just wondering if it mattered that it is on my sound card?

5. N3051M

N3051M TS Evangelist Posts: 2,115

1394 is 1394. sound card is just another way for it to connect to the mobo on the pc just like as if you'd buy a pci 1394 card or adapter etc.. to set up internet sharing just run networking wizard, and setup accordingly.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.