Does anyone type in 'home-row' position?

InsaneVr6

I always got yelled at when i was in my first computer class for not typing in home row...I use all my fingers when I type but they are not in any particular order

I personally can't type in home row position for my life...typing just this thread would take an hour..where its really taking me 20 seconds hehe.

P.S. this is home row positon for those who didnt know it had a name:)
Keyboardhomerow.gif

Well, yes, that is the position from which I type. That's how I learned.

Me too, took typing in HS and it was drilled into you asdfg ;lkjh ,if I even look at the keyboard my brain locks up and it's like ...what letter do I want...

Bleh... I learned Dvorak keyboarding before qwerty, I usually keep my left hand on the top row with the qweasd and my right hand is on the lower right part with the l;',./ (this is on a qwerty keyboard by the way) so I can just move my index fingers to the letters I want, then use my other fingers as a sub typing for connections in words, like A, D, C, V, etc.

I was the fastest typer in my school, because I'm a bad *** like that.

Bleh... I learned Dvorak keyboarding before qwerty

Hate to make you feel this way...but i have never even heard of Dvorak keyboards. So I google image searched one and I was pretty confused haha. I always thought it was qwerty thats all i ever knew...

Ever wonder why the 'first' keyboard wasnt in alphabetical order........? I mean wouldnt that make sense. I am glad they didnt because I sure as h*** would not be able to type for years!

Hate to make you feel this way...but i have never even heard of Dvorak keyboards.

They are pretty old, I don't think anyone would choose to use DVORAK unless they had to since it has a confusing layout. I still like it but QWERTY is more common and almost no keyboards are made in DVORAK any more.

Yes, I type from the home row. I think you can probably become proficient with other methods, but the home row method is probably the most efficient (yes I know qwerty was developed to help prevent typerwriters from locking up, but there is no statistical difference in speeds between proficient dvorak and qwerty typers).

I use all my fingers when I type but they are not in any particular order
I didn't know what it was called, but I thought that it was the only viable method.

However, I can't understand how one can use all fingers but not in any particular order. It seems to me that would require Napoleonic thinking. And what's good about methodical typing is that one doesn't have to think.

However, I can't understand how one can use all fingers but not in any particular order.

Home-row involves keeping all fingers on the keyboard and specific fingers go to specific keys. When i say that i use all my fingers but not in any order, i mean that whatever I am typing, there are no specific keys for my fingers.....I just kinda type....As I am tpying this I noticed that I am using my two pointer and middle fingers for the center of the keyboard and my ring and pinky for the keys on the outer edge of the keyboard....................not home row

As the only male in an otherwise women's typing class (we were aged 18) I too was taught the "home" position for both hands. Later in a journalistic career, it meant I was the fastest "touch typist" in the newsroom, able to take down senior reporters' stories at speed over the phone line - in those days, we phones fitted with earphones for comfort, or jammed the phone between shoulder and chin if necessary. This saved shouting replies if the phone was lying on the desk. Still works for me most of the time, but find using the correct fingers for numbers a drag and now I cheat, looking at the number keys, especially when entering credit card figures...!

I know home row, but I also usually have my left hand on the top row (qwer) and my right hand on offeset home row (kl;'). But that's mostly because of how I sit in relation to my laptop. Depending on where a full size keyboard it positioned I'll have my fingers on the top row, though if the keyboard has a palm rest my fingers usually will be on the home row.

If I can help it, I'll ALWAYS use a numberpad, even on laptops by enabling it (and subsequently forgetting to disable it after I'm done. lol)

I'm a terrible tough typer, though I have been getting better lately. =/

I use all my fingers when I type but they are not in any particular order
Keyboardhomerow.gif

I am somewhat the same way. I try to keep my fingers aligned at home row position, though I rarely can. I use a combo of "home row" typing and "hunt and peck", though I never have to look at the keyboard anymore (which dismisses the "hunt and peck" style I suppose). I guess the op's description fits my typing style as well.

This is the keyboard layout i use i find it much faster than anything in existence!

myownpersonallayout.jpg

This is so fast that i can type any word consisting entirely of f's in just under an hour.

Lol, hotdog, I actually didn't read Anything aside from the first line, and placed my fingers in those positions.

Then I looked at it and realised....

Kind of embarassing!

"home-row": a concept of typewriters and qwerty keyboards.

I too learned on a boat anchor Royal manual T.W. It was quite a shock to later see
professional programmers using the 'newspaper columnist' two finger hunt-n-peck
technique to write code! (btw: code quality != fx(finger technique).

Well i start with my fingers on home row, but I don't hit the correct keys with the correct finger. For example, I always us the right shift even when I'm hitting a key with my right hand, which your not supposed to do. And I use a different fingers to hit some of the letter keys than what my typing teach told me to do. But I have been typing like this since 4th grade, so I'm not changing any time soon.
PS. I can type about 50 wpm with high accuracy, but when I go over that 50 wpm my accuracy drops a lot. But that's only when coping something. I can't do that while in thinking up what I need to type.

Does having your fingers hover over the home row count?

I sucked at it when I took [the mandatory] typing class in middle school, but I'm pretty good at it now and can usually tell when I make a mistake, even if I'm not paying much attention to the screen at the time. However, it takes a while to get to that point when I switch keyboards (or am on someone else's computer).

But if it's on a split ergonomic keyboard, I usually have a problem with the "home row" and resort to something like a four fingered hunt and peck. And I rarely use the numbers up top for numbers (unless it's one or two), so the improper split doesn't really bother me.

actually i do type in the said "home row position" and i too can tell when i've made a mistake when i'm not staring at the screen and typing.. Makes report papers I wrote down as a rough draft and then needed to type type later go by faster...

I think the people who tell you that you're wrong or that you suck just because you don't type on the home row are *****s. If you can type quickly and without many errors using another method, why should you relearn typing with the so-called "proper method"?

Isn't the proper method the method which works best for you?

I have another method, i called it 'hunt and peck' my wife calls it search and destroy. and iy dint thank yu shuuld meak fin of mi teeping skls!

Back