Does Constant Beeping Indicate a Threat?

Hi,

I've noticed that recently my computer has been beeping while I'm using it. The beeping is not a bios thing, it's just a regular sound in Windows. I checked and it's the "Start Navigation" beep in the Windows Explorer sounds.

I don't recall hearing the beep all the time before. But now I hear it a lot when I'm doing things on my computer. Most of the time it seems to correspond to my having done something (navigate to a new web page, switch to a new window, click something, etc.), but sometimes I hear the beep and I haven't done anything.

I know how to turn the beep off, but I was concerned that the beeping was actually an indication of either something wrong with my system or some trojan that was monitoring my computer activity, like keystroke logging for passwords.

Do you think the beeping is something to be concerned with or should I just turn the beeping sound off and forget about it?

Thanks.

LesterJ

If it is a developing thing, it might be overheating of the CPU. This can easily be checked by installing one of the many available temperature monitoring software. If the CPU is over 75 degrees on a regular basis, check the fan(s) are running as required, and clean out any dust or fluff you can find inside the case.

That's just one possibility mind, other people will probably suggest more things, but you can eliminate possibilities one by one !!

Don't ignore it.

Back