Does eSATA Make Sense for 5400RPM External HDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JesseM

I've been wondering since I got my new laptop with an eSATA port how big of a difference I'd see compared to USB with my external Fantom 1TB GreenDrive. I'm currently getting read speeds of ~32MB/s and write speeds starting at ~55MB/s and quickly slowing to ~20MB/s for larger files.

I suppose it depends on how large of transfers you do and how frequently you do them. Also, depends on how fast your laptop's drive is. I think even with 5400rpm a modern 3.5" sata drive (which is what is in that external) should be able to sustain 60+ megs a second. I just did a 9 gig transfer between a 2TB WD Green drive and a 2TB Hitachi and at the end it was over 70megs/sec still. eSATA is no different than SATA other than its external, speeds should be identical. So if you are doing multi gig data transfer on a fairly regular basis its worth using eSATA. And IMO if you have that on your external, there really is no reason not to use it.

Thanks for your help, SNGX1275. I'll pick up a cable next time I'm at Fry's. The only reason I can think not to use eSATA is because nobody else I know has a port on their computer, so I'd have to haul around a USB cable anyways when travelling. Take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back