Does it matter if you use a DDR3 or DDR2 video card?

ynotbme

OK! I am a noob at this!
I am running XP Pro 32-bit. I want to replace the Video Card. Nothing great or expensive...just a decent one. It for a friend (senior, that is why XP). I just got him a Dell Vostro 200 slim, added a 1TB HD and installed all drivers and XP. Please let me know 3 things:

1. Does ddr2 or ddr3 matter on the video card..is one better to run on XP
2. 64-bit or 32-bit. I assume 64 will run on 32-bit XP
3. Any suggestions on the card or where to buy (PCI Express 2.0X16)
Thanks! Ynot

The only thing you need to know about buying a single graphics card:

Do I have a large enough power supply for this card?
Do I have the appropriate card slot for this card?
If the card is 2 (or 3) card slots wide do I have room in my case?
What monitor cable connector will I be using?

Everything else may be important for choosing the card you want but not needed to get the card working.

1) Graphics card memory type is irrelevant as far as the operating system is concerned.
2) I'm not sure why you are asking the second question.
3) We need to know what you will be using the card for. (A slim form factor doesn't give much options)

I would suggest ddr5 if you're into gaming.Currently i am running ddr 3 it is sufficient for casual gaming.Depends on your needs & also check psu & other requirements.

You will need a low profile card to fit into the case, and unfortunately that severely limits your choices.

OK! I am a noob at this!
I am running XP Pro 32-bit. I want to replace the Video Card. Nothing great or expensive...just a decent one. It for a friend (senior, that is why XP). I just got him a Dell Vostro 200 slim, added a 1TB HD and installed all drivers and XP.

If it is for an older person (I assume you mean older by saying senior) I doubt you need to replace it. Please let us know the intended usage of the computer so we can advise you better.

1. Does ddr2 or ddr3 matter on the video card..is one better to run on XP

As far as the OS, no. However, The number rating reflects the speed of the on-board RAM (in simple terms) on the GPU (graphics processing unit). DDR2 is slower than DDR3, which is slower than GDDR5.

2. 64-bit or 32-bit. I assume 64 will run on 32-bit XP

The 32/64 bit refers to the hardware, and the operating system. 32 bit systems will only run a 32bit OS. 64 bit hardware will run 32 bit and 64 bit operating systems.

Neither has anything to do with the GPU. That will fit in any system with enough clearance, an available PCI-Express 16x slot, and enough header clearance to physically install it. Drivers will be available for pretty much all GPU's for your particular OS.

3. Any suggestions on the card or where to buy (PCI Express 2.0X16)

Where you purchase it from depends on where you are happy to buy it, and your budget. However, please let us know the following things:

1. Your budget
2. The intended usage of the computer (is it for browsing, HD videos, gaming, office work)
3. Any particular non gaming applications that should be taken into consideration (e.g. 3D modelling, Photoshop work)
4. If you intend to game. At what resolution do you want to play at, and what games are you going to play
5. Crucial: The total wattage AND amperage of your PSU.

A few points:

1. Vostro 200 Slim's are probably fitted with a non-standard format PSU. They are also typically low wattage (given the type of usage they are made for) and that needs to be taken into consideration.
2. Clearance is poor inside a Vostro 200 Slim case. It is unlikely it will offer enough clearance in height, length or width for any current GPU's. If it needs a gaming based GPU you are going to need to switch case and PSU.

Thanks for all the replies!

By Senior, I did mean older. He just uses it for pictures, slide shows and some video. I think eventually he might want to have a HDMI output to his TV. I really don't need to get some fantastic gaming card. I don't know really if I would get him a card, except for the HDMI. I sure don't want to purchase a new power supply also. Power supply is 250 watts. I think the video is a chipset. I thought I used the PCI Express bus to install a card and that the 16 X 2.0 refered to pins and size. I am so confused. I want something cheap that is not worse that the chipset, but has an HDMI output. Any Suggestion of what or where?

Copied the specs:

Video

Type
Intel integrated video

Audio

Type
Realtec ALC888 (7.1 Channel audio)

Expansion Bus

Bus type
PCI 2.3
PCI Express 1.0A
SATA 1.0 and 2.0
USB 2.0

Bus speed
PCI: 133 MB/s

PCI Express:

x1 slot bidirectional speed - 500 MB/s

x16 slot bidirectional speed - 8GB/s

SATA: 1.5 Gbps and 3.0 Gbps
USB: 480 Mbps high speed, 12 Mbps full speed, 1.2 Mbps low speed

PCI

connectors
two

connector size
124 pins

connector data width (maximum)
32 bits

PCI Express

connector
one x1

connector size
36 pins

1 PCI Express lane

PCI Express

connector
one x16

connector size
164 pins

16 PCI Express lanes

Thanks to all! Ynot

What kind of Video Chipset?

Hi it's Ynot again,

I believe it is a Nvidia GeForce 8300GS Chipset intergrated...what ever that means. I have a feeling, I should just leave it alone, but I think he wants HDMI.
Thanks, Ynot

If you want a HDMI output and with that slim case and for basic purposes like displaying video and 2D environment [not 3D ~2006+ gaming or mid-heavy CAD] in a HD screen, both NVIDIA GT 520 or AMD HD 5450 should do the job -they fit perfectly in slim cases because several manufacturers give you the choice to use either 1 normal case slot or 2 slim case slots spliting 2 ouputs in one slot and generally the HDMI output in the second slot [connected to the card by a little gray cable bus].

Thanks EEatGDL

I think he is happy with what he has. But, appreciate the response, straight and to the point. I am curious...is there a minimum PSU needed. Ha! I figured that one out! But what does GPU mean? I am after all a noob.
Thanks, Ynot

GPU means graphics processor unit. And by the PSU you don't really have to take care of it for the low-end cards like the ones I mentioned. They don't need any extra power cable supply and use only little power which is enough with the one provided by the PCI-E slot.

Back