Does local Joomla installation interfere with network settings?

lopdog

Hi!

Maybe a silly question, but i'd rather be safe than sorry...
The network configuration on my laptop is configured with Cisco AnyConnect VPN client to connect to my office from anywhere. Now I want to install Joomla! locally (with Apache, MySQL and PHP).

To run Joomla! on a Windows desktop or laptop you need to download and install some software needed by Joomla!. This includes a web server called Apache, a database called mySQL and a scripting language called PHP. The point of this to to configure your own machine to behave as if it were a server with the difference being that the result is not visible over the internet and is thus confined to your own computer.
Quote from Joomla Documentation

Could this interfere or alter in any way my current network setup? Would it be better to install it on a virtual machine, like VirtualBox?

Thanks

OK, no answers so far, but I couldn't wait so I just installed Xampp as the Joomla! documentation suggested. So far the only problem I've found is that I am unable to enter "http://localhost/" while connected to VPN. But to me it's not very important, because I never need to stay connected to VPN while working with Joomla!.

Back