Does low CMOS battery affect the OS and stability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I have an old Toshiba Satellite laptop (that belongs to a friend who have abandoned this machine for me to fix) that I'm going to replace the CMOS battery for. Right when I turn the machine on it tells me to press F1 to enter BIOS because of CMO read error or CMOS checksum error. I am convinced that once I change the battery this particular problem will be gone. After all it has been used for many years.

Furthermore I have some suspicions though about the nature of this problem. The reason my friend ditched this machine is because it would not boot up completely -

At some point while the winxp logo is shown during the startup process, a blue screen appears for about a TENTH of a second, and the computer just simply resets/restarts itself.

My question is, could this problem have anything to do with the fact that the CMOS battery is low?

Any advice or insight is appreciated.

p.s. - the laptop itself is spyware/virus free.

I'm not sure if you're saying you did have a problem with the bsod, or if you still are having the problem. If you are still having the bsod problem, when you next turn it on, tap f8 repeatedly and then select "disable automatic restart...." option. This will let you read the bsod message. You can then post the error you're getting and/or google the error message to find more info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back