Does power supply with higher power rating really burn motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chz435646746

Hi, I just bought an HP pavilion e9300 a few week ago. And I am going to upgrade the power supply so that I can get a new graphic card--ATI 4870 which requires at least 500 watt power supply. My current computer is shipped with a 350 watt power supply. I will probably get a 650 watt considering the 70% effeciency of power supply.
However, when I talked to an HP technician, he insisted that I could go for a power supply with no more 450 watt. Because the system I just got has a motherboard which has a max power limit 450 watt. He said if I go beyond that, the motherboard will burn out.
So what shall I do? I really want to get ATI 4870 work well on my computer.
Thx very much.

The long answer is "No".
Just be sure of the dimensions of the power supply before you order a replacement, as HP uses some pretty strange sizes sometimes, and you want the new one to fit with room to spare.

Here chz435646746,
I posted in your other thread.

what a load of BS. You can put any PSU in there you wish. the only restriction is physical size of the psu. your motherboard is actually a Foxconn proprietary board for HP. it has similar specs as the A85GM.

Has anybody stopped to consider it's actually not the motherboard that would draw the bulk of the power...? Any Nvidia card X600 and above would have a separate power tap for the card itself. (This is (I assume) true of High performance ATI cards also)). The drives are powered directly from the PSU, Should I continue...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back