TechSpot

Does power supply with higher power rating really burn motherboard?

By chz435646746
Jun 18, 2010
  1. Hi, I just bought an HP pavilion e9300 a few week ago. And I am going to upgrade the power supply so that I can get a new graphic card--ATI 4870 which requires at least 500 watt power supply. My current computer is shipped with a 350 watt power supply. I will probably get a 650 watt considering the 70% effeciency of power supply.
    However, when I talked to an HP technician, he insisted that I could go for a power supply with no more 450 watt. Because the system I just got has a motherboard which has a max power limit 450 watt. He said if I go beyond that, the motherboard will burn out.
    So what shall I do? I really want to get ATI 4870 work well on my computer.
    Thx very much.

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

The long answer is "No".
    Just be sure of the dimensions of the power supply before you order a replacement, as HP uses some pretty strange sizes sometimes, and you want the new one to fit with room to spare.

3. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,219   +157

Here chz435646746,
    I posted in your other thread.

what a load of BS. You can put any PSU in there you wish. the only restriction is physical size of the psu. your motherboard is actually a Foxconn proprietary board for HP. it has similar specs as the A85GM.

4. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,413   +1,749

Has anybody stopped to consider it's actually not the motherboard that would draw the bulk of the power...? Any Nvidia card X600 and above would have a separate power tap for the card itself. (This is (I assume) true of High performance ATI cards also)). The drives are powered directly from the PSU, Should I continue...?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.